Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Depeche Mode: Playing the Angel

Agree? Yes No

Talking Depeche Mode: Playing the Angel

What did everybody think about the new album and the last tour? I had the honor of seeing DM at the Staple Center, and it was amazing seeing it packed with so many fans! They played a good set and had a lot of energy. I think the new album was not the best but I liked it better than Exciter. Overall, a good comeback.
    M3L1B174

Agree? Yes No

After owning the album for a few months now I can honestly say that the lacluster of it has begun to wear away...I was hooked on it for a long time, and then seemed to cast it aside...There are some amazing songs on there (some of their best in years)...It eclipses Exciter by a mile IMHO...

Didn't get to see them on the first leg of the tour either unfortunately, but I'm planning on picking up some tickets for their return to the Bay Area this weekend...I've heard some audio from this tour and I must say they are well on top of their game...

I hear there is going to be a live DVD from this tour...Anyone know if this is true???
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

I saw them in toronto and they to were energetic and got the crowd going, I enjoyed the show. I think the new album sounds like if you thru songs of faith and devotion and ultra in a blender.
    DJ Arcatek

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by 7red7
    I hear there is going to be a live DVD from this tour...Anyone know if this is true???
    Yep, this is true. According to Depeche-Mode.com, it's gonna be a busy year for the band (but knowing them, this is likely a Eurocentric view - no news on American release dates):

February 20th:
    Suffer Well (CDS, CDM, DVD Single)

March 2nd:
    Speak & Spell (SACD)
    Music For The Masses (SACD)
    Violator (SACD)

April 13th:
    A Broken Frame (SACD)
    Construction Time Again (SACD)
    Some Great Reward (SACD)

April/May:
    John The Revelator (CDS, CDM, DVD single) TBC

June 15th
    Black Celebration (SACD)
    Songs Of Faith & Devotion (SACD)
    Songs Of Faith & Devotion Live (SACD)

August 10th:
    Ultra (SACD)
    Exciter (SACD)

September 29th:
    Playing The Angel Live (DVD - title not finalized)

November 2nd:
    Best Of Depeche Mode (CD, DVD - title not finalized)
    \"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.\"
    - Homer Simpson

Agree? Yes No

Awesome album, great tour. Not their best tour presentation in my opinion, but still damn good.
    To me...the album was better then Exciter or Ultra by far.
    ------------------------------
    www.myspace.com/noirtech

Agree? Yes No

Thanks for the heads up, awesome news!
    DJ Arcatek

Agree? Yes No

What's SACD? Im assuming it's remastered but not sure what the acronym stands for. It's going to be cool to see what Speak and Spell and Broken frame sound like remastered.

Agree? Yes No

Super Audio CD
    www.myspace.com/noirtech

Agree? Yes No

Thanks Noir!

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by NJOberheim
    What's SACD? Im assuming it's remastered but not sure what the acronym stands for. It's going to be cool to see what Speak and Spell and Broken frame sound like remastered.
    Hi Rich, welcome back here! If you don't already have it, I'd get the import version of Speak and Spell because the sound quality on that is miles better than the US release.

About Playing the Angel, I like it a lot. Way better than Ultra or Exciter (neither of which I could bring myself to buy, not even used copies). The industrial overtones in PTA are cool, and I enjoyed hearing a synthpop album from DM once again.
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

I really liked the album. Suffer Well and Lillian rank right up there as favorites for me, and I think I'll end up giving it more rotation than I did Exciter. I saw them in Toronto, Montreal, Dresden, Hamburg (twice), Berlin, and Dusseldorf (twice) this tour. I have to say that the German fans live up to their reputation as devotees... they were sooo much more enthusiastic than the Canadian crowd!

test

Agree? Yes No

what is your issue with Ultra? i thought it was a good album as far as depeche mode albums go

Agree? Yes No

Thumbs up

Playing the Angel surpassed the other post-Violator releases for me. I would suggest that the 3 tracks that highlight the album are "Suffer Well", "Precious" and "I Want It All".

In terms of mood, I felt I heard flashes of moments captured on every thing since Music for the Masses.

It's classic Depeche songwriting, and David Gahan's vocal work just gets better. Martin's lead vocals disappointed me a bit. Overall, a great CD and I was loving hearing Depeche on the radio again.
    Complicating. Circulating.
    Operating. Generating.

Agree? Yes No

I'll admit when I first listened to the cd I loathed it. It took me about a month of listening to start thinking, "wow, this is actually really good." It definitely is more "exciting" than Exciter was. My fave 3 tracks are "John the Revelator", "The Darkest Star", and "I Want It All". The latter track didn't sound as good live as it does on the disc. I left to hit the beer cart when the played it in Denver.
    \"Mister, if you don\'t shut up, I\'m going to kick 100% of your ass!\" ~ Brad Hamilton ~ Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Agree? Yes No

I loved the album, and the show was great...wish I got their early enough to catch the opening act.
    e n d o r a : chicago-based synthpop
    info@endpop.com
    www.endpop.com

Agree? Yes No

I have to agree with the above mentioned statement about Martin's tracks...His tracks o PTA are by far the worst thing he's done IMHO (even worse than the wretched Counterfeit 2)...Overall, he's still got his songwriting chops in order, but vocally, he's either slipped and let himself go, or he's reaching too far for a blues aesthetic...

The show I got from the tour is in Toronto, and damn what an amazing show it sounds like...I envy those who were there...
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

I really haven't been able to get into this album at all. Its not bad, but I simply prefer other DM much more....
    Kris \'Destral\' Wilke
    kris@destral.net
    www.destral.net

Agree? Yes No

way better then exciter - and a totally kick ass show at madison square garden nyc. martin sang 'home' and i so cried.
    *le sigh*

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by ElectroSwank
    way better then exciter - and a totally kick ass show at madison square garden nyc. martin sang 'home' and i so cried.
    *le sigh*
    Exciter was a pile of dogs waste which apart form medioca single..Its ok the new stuff but nothing special..im just not convinced they will do anything better than this now in the future...
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

I also cannot get into the album, it's not bad but does nothing for me. Only my point of view, but it seems people are desperate for an outstanding DM album, so they overrate a little bit meaning the album is okay, surpass the last crappy ones so they say the album is great.

On the technical level, I think the album sound is bad, others have mentioned this so I'm not the only one that noticed, what is you're tought, I mean the recording mixing and mastering, not the song writing.

Thread Information