Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Todd- where are you? How about starting a message board?

Agree? Yes No

Default Todd- where are you? How about starting a message board?

see subject.
    e n d o r a : chicago-based synthpop
    info@endpop.com
    www.endpop.com

Agree? Yes No

He had one back in 2000, then it evolved into EGN.

Agree? Yes No

I was wondering the same thing. Since A Different Drum has played such a major part in making Synth-pop available in this Synthless world, it seems appropriate for them to develop a message board.

On the other hand, I know Todd must have his hands full with the Label and store though. Perhaps it's better for him to continue to focus on the Label itself than to spread himself thin over numerous projects. In the long run, the label might suffer.

Agree? Yes No

I do agree with you, but at the same time. Running a forum can be done by administrators and moderators. He would be simply a puppet, or the "godfather." Here is another post I put up on the modern synthpop newsgroup:

Well it sux that EGN is going down, I for one will miss it. But I
    hope the "new" EGN isn't run by a label or a band. A new forum needs to be unbiased and free from all self-marketing and promotion. As great as EGN was in terms of networking and discovering new music, I felt there was too much of a slant toward certain bands & the moderation wasn't consistant. I literally started visiting the site a few weeks ago after abandoning it for 4-5 months. I started noticed band plugs all over the place and just an inconsistancy. Whereas bands not really related to the site would get their "plugs" swiftly moved to the appropriate category.

What we need is a bare bone message boards All the added novelties on EGN essentially was self defeating. Live streaming, uploading pictures, etc.etc... All that takes bandwidth =more MONEY. Band's need to take responsibility for themselves and upload their songs on their own server. Just provide a link or something for download. We dont need charts and all this other stuff that I dont think really works anyways. Anyways, I'm with Dan...dude is always blunt and I love him for it.

I propose that Todd starts a message board. Yes, he does own a label. Yes, that goes against everything I just said. But he really was one of the reasons we all listen to modern synthpop here. He's always been fair and objective in my opionion. I think he, with the credibility of ADD, can take a forum to new heights.

Anyways, I'll see where people go...I'm run with the herd....I'll
    still support the scene.
    e n d o r a : chicago-based synthpop
    info@endpop.com
    www.endpop.com

Agree? Yes No

As I mentioned elsewhere, you're all welcome to check out the SlothRadio forums. We've got official band forums (with band participation) for Column 5, Declaration, The Dignity Of Labour, Droom, Eurovision, Intervox, Intuition, Invisible College, MODyssey, and Neuropa. Todd has an account there, and I assume he'll post a bit more there once this place goes away.... There's already 300+ members there, with more signing up every day. Give it a try....
    SlothRadio - Playing the best in modern and classic synthpop and new wave.

Agree? Yes No

I'm really digging on Sloth Radio and I've only been "lurking" there for a month or so. "Replacing" the attempt at "OMD-Like" functionality with a simply 365 radio station is a wise idea... that's what I want. I don't really want charts and co-located artist sites. I'd rather have the artists present their music independantly of the site and offer a track or two for the playlist and concentrate on the community side of things...

As much as I occasionally enjoyed listening to the tracks on EGN and reading its content my primary reason for visiting was the forums which would POINT ME at music to listen to. I can find my way to it from there.

For me it's all about the people and has nothing to do with the bands. (in some cases I like the denizens of EGN a lot more as people than as musicians... i'm too self-absorbed in my own hobby to be a fan to everyone)

just my 2 cents.

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

As somebody suggested, I don't have a whole lot of time to paticipate in forums. I've posted from time to time on the regular "synthpop" forum here on electrogarden.com but admit that I don't follow or read all the threads. Some time ago I had to cut back on the number of email and online forums I was following simply because I wasn't getting other work done. I just pick a forum and check in from time to time (which is what I did here).

I do think that slothradio.com has a good thing started up (I LOVE the station). I also think that synthpop.net will step up to fill any void as well.

As far as MP3's go, you can download a whole bunch of synthpop MP3's on Amazon.com's mp3 pages, and any independent band can upload to Amazon.com as well, all for free.

I do pop into the chatroom on www.adifferentdrum.com when I see people are there, and if you post a message there (even when nobody is there at the moment) it stays around so I can reply later and you can check back).

Maybe someday ADD's homepage will add some kind of forum, but I don't know how big a need there is as long as there are other active forums around. If I were to see a lot of activity in the chatroom, then it would seem that the communication infrastructure could be expanded.

Anyway, it's sad to see Electrogarden go.
    -Todd

Lead ElectroGardener KissTheStar's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

There is always the coming Electro Culture forums at the KMA Records site ... launching Jan 1st ...

http://www.kissmyasterixrecords.com

Try us out on Jan 1st ... we are focusing on the music, culture, clubs and fashion in the scene.

Agree? Yes No

THERE IS TOO MANY FORUMS AND WHAT NOT...............EVERYBODY WANTS EVERYBODY TO JOIN THEIR FORUM AND STUFF..........i am guilty of that too

BUT ITS NEVER GOING TO BE THE SAME CAUSE NOT EVERYONE WILL BE ON ALL FORUMS. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO PICK AND CHOOSE AND EVERYONE WILL BE SPLIT INTO MANY DIFFERNET AND SMALLER GROUPS SCATERED EVERYWHERE............

EGN WAS THE ONLY PLACE THAT EVERYONE UNITED AS A WHOLE AND STILL PARTICIPATED ON OTHER FORUMS TOO.

EGN GOING AWAY IS A HUGE STEP BACK IN THE WORLD OF ELECTRONIC MUSIC.

THIS IS WHERE I DISCOVERED MANY MANY SYNTHPOP BANDS/ARTISTS AND BOUGHT SO MANY CD'S AS A RESULT.

IF ELECTRONIC MUSIC WAS UNDERGROUND, ITS NOW GOING TO BE ANOTHER LEVEL LOWER
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

*blood trickles down from ear*
    \"I\'m just an ordinary man
    With extraordinary hands
    I don\'t want to hear your answers
    I don\'t have the big plan\"

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by synth-master
    THERE IS TOO MANY FORUMS AND WHAT NOT...............EVERYBODY WANTS EVERYBODY TO JOIN THEIR FORUM AND STUFF..........i am guilty of that too

BUT ITS NEVER GOING TO BE THE SAME CAUSE NOT EVERYONE WILL BE ON ALL FORUMS. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO PICK AND CHOOSE AND EVERYONE WILL BE SPLIT INTO MANY DIFFERNET AND SMALLER GROUPS SCATERED EVERYWHERE............

EGN WAS THE ONLY PLACE THAT EVERYONE UNITED AS A WHOLE AND STILL PARTICIPATED ON OTHER FORUMS TOO.

EGN GOING AWAY IS A HUGE STEP BACK IN THE WORLD OF ELECTRONIC MUSIC.

THIS IS WHERE I DISCOVERED MANY MANY SYNTHPOP BANDS/ARTISTS AND BOUGHT SO MANY CD'S AS A RESULT.

*ouch*

dude, kick it down a notch...

you found the music because you found people who share the same unique interests... EGN will be SADLY missed... especially because it's so well maintained and has so many bugs worked out ... it's "comfortable"...

we all should go over to http://www.synthpop.net and start talking about this over there... keep the group together.... start the migration early...

i'm sad too but the music is still going to be there on January 10th.

dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

Yeah : I used to love synthpop.net, especially when they did that cosmicity series, like a bit of a precusor to the osbournes.

They should do it again now Mark is hitched and make ir more like the Osbournes.
    a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

ok ok
    sorry, i know things will be ok, but i do have a point ya know
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by synth-master
    THERE IS TOO MANY FORUMS AND WHAT NOT...............EVERYBODY WANTS EVERYBODY TO JOIN THEIR FORUM AND STUFF
    true that ...
    slothradio is a great place, but i hate having to watch what i say in the forums ... since his wife and kids read the board ...
    sorry if i have a "gutter" mouth
    but sometimes i just have to let it out and say ...

anywho ...

i do agree about the last statment shervin said ...
    it will be alot harder for someone new coming into the scene trying to discover new music
    EGN was a place where i discovered alot of the modern synthpop and it made me realize there was more out there than the overplayed vnv and apop stuff ...
    i do believe this is a big loss to the scene ...

anywho ...

i'm still looking forward to the releases that 2004 has in store for us ....

till next time (
    jesse
    "jukebox"
    distress

Agree? Yes No

damn i just notice that shameless welcome sign at synthpop.net. saying welcome EGNers...how strange indeed it felt to see that. i guess we're a different breed...
    the music will blind you

Agree? Yes No

i just wish the design didn't look so bland at synthpop.net....

Agree? Yes No

ive been teling admin that...the guys there constantly now that egn is going down so ive given him my two cents. he said he working on a facelift for the site and said it would be ready soon. but who knows he couldve just said that, now that he realized it was important. and then of course began to design something better.
    the music will blind you

Thread Information