Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Electrogarden?

Agree? Yes No

Default Goodbye Electrogarden?

I just received this e-mail, what can I say but I'm very sad. Hopefully something can be done. We owe a lot to the EGN:

Dear Electrogarden Member,

We are saddened to inform you that as our current hosting period ends, the Electrogarden Network will be going offline sometime prior to January 9, 2004.
    During the last 2+ years, the site has seen exciting growth both in its membership and in Electronic Music hosted multimedia content. The Electrogarden currently hosts over 160 electronic artists from more than a dozen labels worldwide - as well as many independent groups, providing more than 600 tracks of electronic music, and delivering over 200 Gigs of content monthly to more than 8000 members along with more than a thousand guests on a daily basis. Unfortunately, Electrogarden.com has not been successful in establishing any means of revenue and after more than 2 years of presenting the site in this fashion it is no longer possible to ignore the heavy financial toll that the site carries with it. As the site continues to grow it is also clear that while the Electrogarden is successful in principle, the site lacks the proper format for generating that essential revenue required to support its own hosting and infrastructure, and with this ongoing, continued growth of expe!
    nse the Electrogarden has become impossible to present at the current time. We are evaluating other options, hosting arrangements and site content changes that could allow presenting the site again, hopefully at some time in the future.

In closing, a special thanks to some of the people behind the scenes that have helped to grow and maintain the Electrogarden Network:
    The Community section Admin Team and site Member Moderators for their daily efforts keeping the member interactive sections of the site running smoothly.
    Jez Porat, Michael Casano, Rix Roundtree-Harrison, Carl Jenkinson, Danny King, Megan Erben, Craig Smidt, and others, all of whom have kept the Electrogarden "evergreen" with their contributions of music news, reviews, articles, and our special interviews and artist features.
    DialTone for Linux configuration, Tivoli backups, disaster recovery planning, OS maintenance and all the security patches.
    Todd Durrant / ADD for helping to kick start the Forums and Artist sections with ADD bands and links.
    Greg Rolfes for some of the artwork on the site.
    Midihead for the original Electrogarden concept, flash elements and artwork.
    Steve, Chris, and Bill for everything - which allowed the site to stay online for this long at such a financial loss.
    All of the Electrogarden members, artists, and DJ's that have kept the site so active and vibrant with all that is Electronic Music.

Thank you.
    ELECTROGARDEN.COM

NO - Thank YOU Electrogarden! Without you, so many of the opportunities that have come our way would never have materialized.

Sincerely,
    MODyssey
    \"There are no forbidden connections\"

-Roland Synthesizer Model 101 Manual

Agree? Yes No

NONONONONONO!!!!
    Somebody save ElectroGarden. PLEASE!!!!!
    Jamie

Agree? Yes No

This is truely sad. Thank-you to all of the EGN staff for giving Quixote Chapter a place to introduce new fans to our music. I've had a great time this past couple of years discovering new music and discussing production with many of the other artists featured here. This has been a great place to enjoy being a synthpop fan.

Thanks again,

-Kevin

Agree? Yes No

Some bands obvioulsy are ruined by this as its their only outlet .. I would suggest emailing admin@kissmyasterix.com for news on a new Electronic Forum with MP3 facilities!
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

Oh no!!!! :sobbing:

I so hope they find a way to bring the site back. If not for this place I would not have realized that the synth scene wasn't dead and I wouldn't have discovered so many new bands, not to mention meeting some really cool people here. In the meantime, my heartfelt thanks to all the folks who have kept this site going for the past two years. *sigh*
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

Yes, I will also lament the passing of this site. It has been a great place to make people aware of my music, as well as to interact with many of you on a more personal level.

However, I am sadly not surprised, as many OMDs have failed in the last year. Even the big daddy of them all, mp3.com, bit the dust just this month. It's a tough business.

I hope that EGN finds a way to come back profitably. It's been a whole hell of a lot of fun!
    ====
    DAVID VESEL -- synthetic music for humans
    On the Electrogarden Network
    Official Web Site
    Your mileage may vary.

Agree? Yes No

You're all welcome over at the SlothRadio forums in the meantime. We play pretty decent music, too.
    SlothRadio - Playing the best in modern and classic synthpop and new wave.

Agree? Yes No

Electrogarden has been a fun and useful site for the synthpop scene. I understand how it is difficult to keep running a "business" when it's constantly in the red. I salute the owners who built it up and kept it going for so long despite the challenges. Best of luck to you in future endeavors and thanks for the valiant efforts to build a forum for those of us who enjoy a place to talk about our music!

Since there will be a void without electrogarden.com I will suggest a couple places that might help you fill that void:

slothradio.com -->> it's a great online synthpop station, but also has some forums

synthpop.net -->> it looks like this forum page is still running

And adifferentdrum.com has a chatroom as well as a way you can post reviews for CD's (though not really a forum)

Amazon.com has FREE MP3 downloads and there are a lot of synthpop bands available for download. Plus, they have charts for the different genres. For example, here is the "new wave" chart (where you find a lot of synthpop):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...761738-8316929

And the "dance pop" chart has a lot of synthpop too:

And of course there is a "industrial / gothic" chart:

And also trance, techno, britpop, and many other related genres.

I would recommend that bands who have uploaded MP3's to this site should go to Amazon.com and upload their tracks there:

From that page, just click on the "Upload Your Mp3's" link at the top of the page.

Thanks Electrogarden! I hope to see a lot of you folks elsewhere so that the discussion and fun can live on.

-Todd

Agree? Yes No

Wow, this sucks
    I will see what I can do at lexiconmagazine.com - I doubt I can host a forum but I know I can add back news and reviews...
    I will let people here know before Jan 9
    -Dave

Agree? Yes No

I wonder if it would help this site at all if the artists hosted their own tunes to cut down on bandwidth and server space...I'd hate to think there's NOTHING we could do to help out...any thoughts

Agree? Yes No

Hey guys! why we can't save EG???

if all members gave US$1 right now, I think will be enough to pay all EG costs, or am I wrong?? this could be made via paypal.

a good place with great prices is www.jatol.com (thanks Midihead for that tip!), EG could be hosted by them. My site is there and is really fast, secure, with lots of space and cheap!

and there you can pay by year with BIG discounts.

The bands could pay also US$1 per month to have his songs here, or US$10 per year, isn't much to that promotion... and we could save this place...

only that will pay the hosting costs at Jatol easily, and will have many extra dollars in the end I think...

these are only few ideas, I know that we have many people here that want to help... so why not?

Freddy

Agree? Yes No

As an artist myself, I'd be on board for that if it were to be an option...the people I've met here, and the promotion the site has been for us has been invaluable.

Agree? Yes No

Unhappy OH NO!

That's a bummer.

But I must say thanks ELECTROGARDEN for being here for all this time. I learned so much about synths and synthpop just by coming on and reading the forums. I've been made aware of lots of really good music that I otherwise would have missed, not to mention some really cool people.

I will miss this site very much.

Thanks again......

Agree? Yes No

Part of the advantage of EGN is that it's a good central location for everyone to gather. If everyone splits into ten different forums I can see the community getting really fragmented.....

Just a thought....
    SlothRadio - Playing the best in modern and classic synthpop and new wave.

Agree? Yes No

Anyway, I am very sad to see this place go.
    My email address is kevinpark1@hotmail.com
    Please keep in touch. It was my pleasure knowing many of you.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

If it's a monetory issue, I don't see why Electrogarden doesn't put up a "community chest" and the member donate funds to keep this place up and running. I'm on a coupel others boards that function in this manner...

Agree? Yes No

It's probably not just the discussion forums. It's the streaming of music too, and the single biggest cost to an enterprise like this is bandwidth. Text is cheap, but you start slinging around MP3 files and it adds up really really fast. That is what usually does OMDs in.
    ====
    DAVID VESEL -- synthetic music for humans
    On the Electrogarden Network
    Official Web Site
    Your mileage may vary.

Lead ElectroGardener KissTheStar's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

Hi gang, Craig here ....

We will be hosting a forum very similiar to that here at the EGN at our new website going on line on or about jan 1 at http://www.kissmyasterixrecords.com ....

I would like to thank all of you for your support here at the EGN over the last 2 years. I would like to thank the owners of the EGN for the opportunity to be so involved in the site and for the opportunity to interview so many outstanding artists. I will be sad to see the site go, but sometimes things must just pass away.

Agree? Yes No

here is something many can join and discuss synthpop

*tears of sadness*

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Synth-pop_Musik/
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

I wish all of you a very fond farewell! Be in goodness always! Namri!

BE AT PEACE!

Tal`liyn ~O Eldar~
    \"You gave away your life\'s grace. I cannot protect you any more!\"

Thread Information