Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: That one defining moment....

Agree? Yes No

Question That one defining moment....

Hey gang,

I'm wondering what that one definining moment was for you with music. It doesn't have to be synthpop, could be country for all I care...

Here's what I mean. I'm very driven by music, and base much of my life's philosophies and directions from song lyrics and meanings.... Looking back, the biggest time that music defined the moment for me was.... (and yes, I set this up, but it was still a beautiful moment...)

When I was on the airplane, leaving Saudi Arabia after the persian gulf war, I had a tape cued....when I felt the planes wheels leave the ground, I pushed play on the trusty walkman, and here are the lyrics I heard...

"Oh I've just come from the land of the sun
    and a war I must have won in the name of truth
    Oh I fought so brave, your freedom we would save
    with our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
    I want to see my family, my wife and child waiting for me
    I've got to go home I've been so alone you see......"
    - New Order

Basically, look back on you life, and remember a time that music set the tone / mood for something important!
    \"...that\'s not music! I mean, it\'s ok if you only know three chords, but for God\'s sake, play them in the right order!....\" Hank Hill - King of the Hill

\"...Hi Guys, the band club is collecting bottles and cans for the homeless; ironically taking away the only job the homeless have....\" The Midget Tuba player - \"The New Guy\"

Agree? Yes No

Not one defining moment, Spect, but many, in many different contexts. All have particularly different meanings, situation dependent. After yours, my moments only seem trivial!
    We\'re no longer as thick as thieves

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

don't really have one, just grew up with music all around, listening to all kinds of types, soul, r&b, pop, etc...

Agree? Yes No

there is no triviality (is that a word?!?!) to this, please, feel free to share!
    \"...that\'s not music! I mean, it\'s ok if you only know three chords, but for God\'s sake, play them in the right order!....\" Hank Hill - King of the Hill

\"...Hi Guys, the band club is collecting bottles and cans for the homeless; ironically taking away the only job the homeless have....\" The Midget Tuba player - \"The New Guy\"

Agree? Yes No

While I've always been into music, and really got into groups like The Human League, Roxy Music, Kraftwerk around 1981, it was in 1984 when I heard Jan Hammer's music in Miami Vice, that I decided to devote my time to the piano (not the trumpet) and write my own music. I was so amazed with how it sounded, and since the soundtracks were not out yet, I sat at our piano to figure the soungs out, and that's when I figured out the piano / synths would be my thing. In trying to play his music, I began to craft my own songs and styles. That was a defining moment for me....

X Esquire
    \"Hide Your Voice With The Sound Of The Crowd.....\"

Agree? Yes No

I guess my defining year was 1981...just coming into high school and trying to find a good fit anywhere (which I did not). All of sudden i came upon the burgeoning New Romantic scene and picked up as much as could by Duran, Visage, Heaven 17, etc. Adam and the Antz...all inspired me to play...I just remember getting my hands upon my first keys--a Roland SH-101--playing in bands, thinking that the Poly 800 could not be bettered!

Even today, I get butterflies when I know a certain song is about to play, amplified exponentially attending live shows (like Duran)...music provides the context for whatever I do (even when I am building my tiny fleets, I'll turn on "Jolly Roger!")
    We\'re no longer as thick as thieves

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

I can think of two defining music moments for me:

(1) Year: 1982. My family and friends had been stuck in the Country/ Disco/ Arena Rock genres, so that's all I had heard... until a cousin picked up Devo's "Oh, No! It's Devo" album, just for the unique cover. From that point on, synth music has been foremost in my collection.

(2) Year: 1984. I had just seen Howard Jones' video for his first hit "New Song". His one-man-does-it-all act inspired me to make my own synth music (and to keep a positive vibe every now and then).
    Edgar / RE:Active
    http://www.dxtcmusic.com

Agree? Yes No

Introspect, that was a moving story!

Wow...this thread is gonna make me watery around the eyes...

Well, music for me is the driving force behind everything I do. I can't recall a single important moment of my life that didn't have a song attached to it. My cds are my most treasured posessions...if someone would take my music away from me I would no longer function (and I'm using this verb not to be over-dramatic). As for special moments where a particular song made a difference, there have been a few, I'll list the most intense ones that come to mind right now:
    The first was in 1990, I was 11 years old, it was night, I was down with a cold and couldn't sleep. So I turn on the tv to help me fall asleep...I do fall asleep...only to wake up by the sound of "Being Boring" playing on a music channel. That was it, then and there. Young Dizzy had discovered synthpop and the PSB.
    The second one was some 4 or 5 years back...for various reasons I won't go into I was a mess and it seemed that everything was falling apart, I really could see no light whatsoever in whatever was happening to me. And then I turn on the radio and I hear the most beautiful voice singing the most powerful lyrics with the most enchanting melody...
    ..."And when silence comes back to me,
    I find myself feeling lonely
    Standing here on the shores of destiny
    I find myself feeling lonely
    I had a life to give...many dreams to live...
    don't you know that you're losing so much this time
    Beyond the waves I will be free
    ...while all the others are praying..."

That song was Once in a lifetime and Wolfsheim had explained it all for me.
    Thank you for the music!
    \'We were never bored, because we were never boring...

Thread Information