Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The State of Synth Music: 2004

Agree? Yes No

Post The State of Synth Music: 2004

Damn it! I tried! I can't wrirte a musical thread any longer! I really wanted to, but all I can think to ask is whether people use paper or plastic at the market, or if they use forks at the local Chinese eatery...I am sorry Amy...I tried...

We\'re no longer as thick as thieves

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

Perhaps we can discuss what all might be on the State of Synthpop 2004 compilation?
    Nearly 700 of my reviews of various synthpop-related releases hosted by:
    www.synthpop.net

Agree? Yes No

i use paper lately and no i like the chopsticks

but, to get back to the issue here: Whats up for next year? Now that electroclash is dead; Do you think fans / music enthusiasts / clubgoers are going to be searching for a more sophisticated synth sound?

I think they are... with more complex arrangements and added elements of various genres.

Agree? Yes No

I forecast that a heavy retro flavour will dominate...perchance inspired by the return of the icons to the mainstream...one could only hope for more elegant arrangements, and due attention to each song. I actually prefer paper bags with handles, and, I haven't used chopsticks since a most unfortunate stabbing (purely accidental) last year...
    We\'re no longer as thick as thieves

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

Next year will be all about chip music like puss, freezepop etc along with a continued domanance of Electro in the pop charts.

That is my prediction !
    a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by ElectroSwank

Whats up for next year? Now that electroclash is dead...
    And hopefully along with it we'll see the demise of the reverse mullet.
    \"We are not a rock band but we rock the house.\" - S.I. Futures

Agree? Yes No

Mullets in either direction are just wrong and I also hope they go away.

Agree? Yes No

So any word on the next STATE OF SYNTHPOP 2004 compilation??

I'm still trying to figure out who to contact, so my band can get on it..

Joe
    http://www.brandnewdaymusic.com

STYLE single coming out in 2006.

CD # 2, coming out in early 2007.

Nearly 700 of my reviews of various synthpop-related releases hosted by:
    www.synthpop.net

Agree? Yes No

Groups I'd like to see on the comp, not in any real order, just brainstorming

Brand New Idol
    Halovox
    Droom
    The Dignity of Labour
    The Thought Criminals
    Eurovision
    Iris
    Provision
    Echoing Green
    Eight to Infinity
    Brainclaw
    Neuropa
    Brave New World
    Kiss the Star
    Empire State Human
    Nasa
    Seven Words
    Intricated

I'm sure I'm forgetting tons though...

Agree? Yes No

The following I think are more than worthy!

Intervox
    PSWK
    Blind Before Dawn
    Kiss*The*Star
    Ju Ju Babies
    F*st Deluxe
    Neuropa
    Brainclaw
    Mona K
    Hypoxia
    Scar Chemik
    Echoeing Green
    Iris
    Eight to Infinity
    Droom
    BNI
    Halavox
    The Thought Criminals
    (whatever the f_U_c-k style we are?)
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

Hmmm I guess id like to hear (in addition to the above) .......

Nukleon
    Quioxte Chapter
    Freezepop
    Soviet
    Laptop
    Intervox
    Macondo
    Vic twenty
    Null device
    Travelogue

Im pretty sure we will both get at least some of our wishes !
    a330n

Agree? Yes No

This looks really cool and i like this requirement:

**Bands MUST have at least 1 (one) professional full length CD released by a record label or on their own, available for purchase to the public, in order to be considered for this compilation.**

I hate it when bands go on these comps and you look for more of thier stuff and they don't have a full cd out!

Agree? Yes No

Guess that leaves me out...

http://www.brandnewdaymusic.com

STYLE single coming out in 2006.

CD # 2, coming out in early 2007.

Agree? Yes No

Sadly I wouldnt want to go on a Synthpop Compliation as Im not synthpop and dont want o be labbled with acts which have no relevance with my music. Synthpop is a bad word thsese days as to many crap bands have been killing the scene with medioca tracks or trying to be DM ! Its a sad state of affairs. Electroclash went the day it was in the charts. The Scene it at a Low and it cant compete in clubs with EBM as people need a hefty beat.. for their drugs sadly. MP3.COm has gone and mores to go...

Sad really ..also the attitude of people who are in te thirtsy on forums seems to be very anti the under 20 generation who like synthpop and know there stuff just as well who knows ..oh well im destined for the Rock&Pop(alternative dance section)...

Cant be bothered to be classed with Bland BANDS WHILE THE DESCENT SYNTHPOP ACTS ARE CONSTANTLY ignored because they dont kiss DMS or VInce Clarkes buttocks.
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

Its' not a "synthpop only" comp... which is a good thing! cos, as you said, the word synthpop (not that its a bad thing) just reminds people of the 80s. there are people out there making modern synthpop that doesn't sound like dM.

this is what they say on thier site:

"WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR: A focus on dancefloor friendly tracks, unreleased, and exclusive songs and/or remixes in the Industrial, EBM, Synthpop, Trance, Trip Hop, and Electronic Dance genres. Songs MUST BE electronic focused. This is *NOT* strictly a synthpop compilation. It will cover ALL melodic electronic dance music/styles. Please no Metal or Industrial Rock."

I'd like to see BNI on this comp also. I like thier modern edgy new sound

Agree? Yes No

KB : there is much truth in what you say, and much truth in what Pop says on the subject also. Both of you are clever guys making great music, and it would be great to have you step up to the plate and extend and and enhance the "scene" by being part of it, and would be a valuable component to the whole spectrum that is electronic music.

I dont think there is as much of a "Us and them" attitude as is sometimes made out on this forum. LOL. (all makes for good drama though !)

Its like the UK charts : no decent UK bands want to play the singles chart game, because it is lame to want to be in the charts, because it is full of lame bands.

The consequence of this is the charts get lamer and lamer, and people stay away from them even more.

But at the end of the day, you have to "take the power back".

Just my opinion !
    a330n

Agree? Yes No

Does it really matter what you get labeled as. Exposure is exposure... right? I'd be honored to be included, although our sound is leaning towards rock these days.

Arron, thanks for the mention!

-Kevin

Agree? Yes No

Kevins' right. IMO it really doesn't matter what you want to call it... good music made with 'synths' doesn't always need to be categorised as "synthpop". Isn't it more important to just make music you like and make you happy.

I am very envious of a lot of you on this forum... you have the talent and opportunity to create this expressive and great music and instead of just enjoying it, you complain about your place in the scene.

I WISH I was as talented and prolific as some of you like Pop to take my deepest feelings and emotions and write beautiful songs about it.

As a fan, i'd like to see you guys making your own scene, setting new boundaries for yourselves and your peers. Its not a large community, you all should be helping eachother breaking your brand of electronic music to the public. (if thats what you want) but primarily, you should be doing it, as i would be if i had some of your talent, for yourselves... and because you want to.

i'm very jazzed for this compliation. I hope it brings the best of successes.

XO

Thread Information