Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: has anyone ever heard of a book?

Agree? Yes No

Default has anyone ever heard of a book?

i like to read books, y'know those thick stacks of paper bound in codex form...
    anyway, there are several author who i follow almost religiously naming a few would be William Gibson, and most of all HP Lovecraft (for some rerason i honestly find solice and relation in my own life to his vision of madness and the unknown...somehow i can apply it to my life) anyway does anyone else here follow the writings of any particular author with a passion, or are just reading any particular material write now or ever that has really made them think...or even emulate if you yourself are a writer?

Agree? Yes No

Yes, Scuba:

CS Forrester and Patrick O'Brian.
    We\'re no longer as thick as thieves

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

I worked in a book store for about five years and ironically, never read with any passion. Now that I do not work at a book store, my love of literature is returning with the likes of Robert Heinlein, Robert R. McCammon and Clive Barker.
    \"Is that gasoline I smell?\" - The Crow

Agree? Yes No

so if you like clive barker you need to read and known (if you dont yet) about hp lovecraft...seriously, his cthulu mythos revil some of the world most known an beloved mythologies (the real ones i refer to) lovecrafts are not real, but so extensive that only he would know if they did in fact aplly to the human universe...lets just hope they arent true...

clive barker/steven king and many other sci fi-horror -macbre author all agree that lovecraft IS the absolute and undisputed master of horror literature...

and i f you like sci fi you should read Neuromancer (if you haven't already) william gibson coined the term "cyber space" b4 the internet even exsisted...also coined the term "consensual hallucination"...

Tomorrow's Eve by Villiers de l'Isle-Adam is another good one...written around the late 1800's, and first introduced the concept of an android...

kinda on topic, who was the russion playwrite who coined the term "robot" in some play way back when...anyone know this?
    the music will blind you

Agree? Yes No

Thanks! You know, being all to familiar with the author, but never reading the material has been frustrating so I'll be sure to just do it next time I go to the library.

Agree? Yes No

its all short stories...read up about the author, if your familiar with the man behind the vision, it helps ALOT in appreciating his...sometime it take a trully die hard fan tho to grasp his material...its VERY dense and VERY occult and VERY profound...

pick up his published collections, they help consolidate phases of his work in context...my personal fav is the Dream CYcles collection, which included stories he conjured up in his sleep and such..."dream quest of unknown kadeth" is a cumination of characters and concepts that other dream cycles introduced...so to really get that story would require you reading a bunch of "dream cycle" short stories first...but he write short stories so it easy to catch up on the madness...
    the music will blind you

Agree? Yes No

cool, will do. I'll let you know how I like it..........

Agree? Yes No

I'm glad someone started a book thread! I love reading almost as much as I love music. Right now I'm almost finished reading Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker. Very dark, sexual, repulsive, wonderful. I too really like Robert McCammon. One of my favorite books of all time is Swan Song. That's such an amazing book. The way it exposes the characters true selves. AWESOME!!!

I would also highly recommend the original six books in the Dune saga. A must read!

And if you want to read something more fiction than sci-fi, check out Bret Easton Ellis. Start with his debut novel, Less Than Zero. Second should be The Rules Of Attraction. His books are cool because they are all indirectly connected. Characters make cameos from book to book, which is a fun element.

I have yet to read Lovecraft or Gibson, but I do have copies of Neuromancer and Virtual Light collecting dust on my book shelf.

I'll save some of my other favorites for future posts on this thread. I could probably go on forever...

Peace,
    James MODvox
    Let me hear you make decisions
    Without your television

Agree? Yes No

James OBarr the origin of The Crow

Agree? Yes No

Books of Blood I-III are absolutely the best horror I've read. Barker is the man.
    Also for the best down home Detective Fiction from New Orleans, check out James Lee Burke. His Dave Robichaeux novels rival anything I've ever read, no bull. Check him out.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by MODvox
    And if you want to read something more fiction than sci-fi, check out Bret Easton Ellis. Start with his debut novel, Less Than Zero. Second should be The Rules Of Attraction. His books are cool because they are all indirectly connected. Characters make cameos from book to book, which is a fun element.
    yeah i read "life after god" and american psycho" b. e . ellis is pretty good, but i got kinda annoyed with his tendency to explain fashion and music in gross detail...
    I have yet to read Lovecraft or Gibson, but I do have copies of Neuromancer and Virtual Light collecting dust on my book shelf.
    you really should open up that copy of "Neuromancer"

still no lovecraft fans..huh? oh well...ill have to spread the word...anyone who like horror, sci fi and macabre...needs to read his work...literally his influence span all form of media...

what about "pattern recognition" also by william gibson...its about really weird web art and a woman with an allergic pathology to logos?

oh yeah, and philip k dick, hes got a great short story about a man who builds a maschine that turns music into animals...

Agree? Yes No

OK...now, the obvious question--especially for those of us who haven't read each other's picks...what is it about the books or the style of writing that makes them so captivating?

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

Less than Zero is an awesome book!

Some of my favorite authors include:

James Patterson
    JD Salinger
    Roald Dahl
    Michael Crichton
    \"Man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle against the urge to punch ‘em in the face, and for what?! For some pimply little puke to treat you like dirt. Well I’m better than dirt ... well most kinds of dirt. I mean, not that fancy, store-bought dirt. That stuff’s loaded with nutrients. I can’t compete with that.\"

Agree? Yes No

lovecraft is all about, well basically, about ordinary ppl sumject to things of this universe that literally are too much for the mind to comprehend...its like this

shattering revelations and literary whims of nameless horrors and primordial shambling memories for noxious abysses of evil so hellishly real that infact ones sanity is indeed threatened
    (i actually kinda relate to this...in a way i cant really explain)

for gibson...he just has very intriguing in his take on pop culture and technology...like his most recent book is about a freelance advisor who has the uncanny ablility to know if a logo is gonna work or not for a company or product...its also about strange web art that defies any historical indication in it appearences yet again so realistic that ppl cant rule out the possibility that despite how REAL it appear, could very well be the conjuring of some garage film genius...

his other book the "idoru" touch upon the idea that celebrety-ism is something ppl are naturally born into...

i read stuff that is hard to explain to ppl who may have not read it...theres to mnuch to explain in both authors works....

lovecraft is simply not of this world and sometimes strangley self referential...

heres a good Gibson quote from "pattern recognition"

"musicians, today, if they are clever, put new compositions out on the web, like pies set to cool on a window ledge, and wait for other people to anonymously rework them. ten will be all wrong, but the eleventh may be genius. and free. its as though the creative process is no longer contained within the individual skull, if indeed it ever was. everything, today, is to some extent the reflection of something else."
    the music will blind you

Agree? Yes No

I spend nearly all my time reading. I read a lot of world mythology, but my passion is Greek mythology. I used to read Anne Rice's stuff before I entered college, but I own so many books that I cannot say I have devoted anymore time to her than my other reading.

This term I have had so much school reading that I have not been able to read any of my own books. This is really bad because I own so many books that it is going to take me forever to read them all. I really need to buy my 4th bookcase since two of mine are severely curved due to the weight of the books. (If anyone saw my book thread a few months ago, they would know that my one bookcase attached to the ceiling literally came out so it was a really frightening experience to have to get it back into the ceiling and move the books on it, yikes!)

Anywho, I do have a favorite poet and remarkably he is a friend of Lovecraft. He is Clark Ashton Smith. He and Lovecraft used to write each other letters and Clark even wrote a little poem for Lovecraft. Sadly though, most of his poetry is out of print and very expensive. The Selected Poems are the best deal for the amount of poetry.

Enough of my rant... I love literature and poetry.. tis my life.
    Can you feel the satin sea
    So deeply blue, inside of me ~Diary of Dreams

Agree? Yes No

I think that both Forrester and O'Brian have a unique sense of history and marvelous nautical knowldege. Moreover, they follow their characters through several stages of their lives, which is even better. Perhaps even more betterer than that is the fact that the lives of their characters could very well intersect!!

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

Thumbs up

OK, some of my favourite authors:

Robert Ludlum
    Tom Clancy
    Stephen King (especially the Gunslinger books)
    Dean Koontz

Non-fiction books I would recommend are:

The Writer's Journey - Christopher Vogler
    The Complete Book Of Scriptwriting - JM Stracynski

The latter are due to my long-term ambition to write at least one screenplay...
    \"Just go that way really fast, then turn...\"
    Every man and his dog bar John Cusack, Better Off Dead

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by scuba_cop
    [b]
    yeah i read "life after god" and american psycho" b. e . ellis is pretty good, but i got kinda annoyed with his tendency to explain fashion and music in gross detail...
    [b]
    "Life After God" is actually by Douglas Coupland, not Bret Easton Ellis. I cannot get into B.E.E., but Coupland's "Life After God" is probably my favorite book of all time. That one hit me right where it hurts.

There aren't really any authors that I really follow, but I have read all of the fiction books by Chuck Palahniuk. Some are good, some aren't so good, but they're mostly in the same vein.
    \"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.\"
    - Homer Simpson

Agree? Yes No

oh yeah, thats right...it was a while since i read it...thanks for bringing that to my attention, i didnt even realize.

"life after god" was good.

does coupland have a new book out? i thought i read something about it, has something to do a girl dying in a school shooting and and her spirit serves as the narrator for the entire novel?
    the music will blind you

Agree? Yes No

Everyone here has great taste in reading materials...but...I feel a bit left out as these days i am going for a more lighter fair and my favorite authors are Bill Bryson and David Sedaris. I love them both as they are both very sarcastic and both brutally honest. I find myself relating to exactly what they are saying and i feel they say what alot of people want to say, but might be afraid too. I always find myself laughing until my side hurts whenever i pick up one of their books.
    \"You fat ¤¤¤¤...You ain\'t got a job. \"
    Boyz in the Hood

Thread Information