Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: I miss Opcode "Studio Vision".. where can I get this feature?

Agree? Yes No

Unhappy I miss Opcode "Studio Vision".. where can I get this feature?

Hi;

I used to use this kick-ass music app by Opcode called "Studio Vision Pro". One great thing about this app was that it allowed me to write music in mini-sequences, so I could develop my intro, chorus, bridge, etc.. independantly, and then construct the song using a Queue, and just punch in the order of those sequences (they were assigned letters, so I would punch in a combination like ABBCDDC for instance). This was such an awesome feature, since it allowed me to develop different song compositions, ideas, etc... Unfortunately Opcode dissappeared, and their great innovations dissappeared with them. I turned on to Cubase as an alternative, but I still miss this feature, since it is by no means available in SX.

Someone on the net pointed me to this other app called Muzys. The interface and workflow is very different, I mean VERY different, although it supports many things that Cubase does (VST, ASIO, ReWire). Are there any other tools out there that support that idea of having a queue or playlist to construct the structure of a song? I would certainly appreciate the info.

Thanks;
    John
    Addicted2Fiction ... http://www.addicted2fiction.com

Agree? Yes No

You can use folder tracks to group multiple tracks together in SX in one lane. Then use ghost copy parts to change the arrangement structure.

By labeling the folder tracks before ghosting, you can obviously see the structure.

Hope this helps a bit.
    a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

Thanks for that tip. Pretty creative way of using folder tracks. I didn't know Ctrl-K (ghost) worked on folder tracks as well! I'm gonna have to try that. Cool idea.

J.

Originally posted by arronc
    You can use folder tracks to group multiple tracks together in SX in one lane. Then use ghost copy parts to change the arrangement structure.

By labeling the folder tracks before ghosting, you can obviously see the structure.

Hope this helps a bit.

Agree? Yes No

If you're really into the pattern based sequencing thing, check out the StepDesigner MIDI plugin in SX. It allows you to program MIDI patterns then trigger them from MIDI events. Great for programming sections of your song and rearranging them easily. I was just talking to Breye about this tonight.

-Mark
    www.djintrovert.com

Agree? Yes No

Thanks Mark. Will certainly read up in the manual about it.

J.

Originally posted by intro
    If you're really into the pattern based sequencing thing, check out the StepDesigner MIDI plugin in SX. It allows you to program MIDI patterns then trigger them from MIDI events. Great for programming sections of your song and rearranging them easily. I was just talking to Breye about this tonight.

-Mark
    www.djintrovert.com

Agree? Yes No

I hear ya on the missing Opcode. A friend used to write their manuals and gave me a copy. Of course Gibson bought them for no apparent reason and stopped making sequencing software. That's capitalism at work. Let's see, let's buy a company and shut it down. No wonder so many European music companies are thriving! - Never used the pattern feature, mostly I hated switching to another program... Logic.. Let's hope Apple doesn't screw it up.
    www.tristraum.com

Agree? Yes No

FruityLoops has pattern based writing style

Agree? Yes No

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Ashe
    FruityLoops has pattern based writing style
    Yeah, I've been digging deep into FL Studio this past month. I did some asking around, and the programs that people suggested were either Muzys or FL. Muzys's interface was very un-convetional, and too quirky for my taste. FL on the other hand is a kick-ass application!! I'm daring to say that I will most probably not go back to Cubase SX unless I need to record vocals.

Sofar, FL provides everything you need in one environment. The patttern-oriented paradigm is what I was looking for, and it's well laid out and easy to use.

John

Thread Information