Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWAKENING less good than DISCONNECT ?

Agree? Yes No

Default AWAKENING less good than DISCONNECT ?

Am I the only one who s disappointed with AWAKENING?
    Maybe I just expected too much, after the amazingly brilliant Disconnect, but to me it just sounds slightly old,if not to say pompous.The brilliant thing about disconnect is that it is pure pop on the one hand, and extremely moving on the other, (which is the hardest thing to do),whereas Awakening sounds like a rock album...everytime I try and give it another listen it reminds me of Foreigner.
    Maybe its just the production- some of the songs are still nice, but nothing reaches the heights of Saving Time,or Endless,or Annie,or any of the songs on disconnect.
    I really hope theres gonna be a remix album,maybe that ll change my mind.

Agree? Yes No

Oh..........

This isn't going to be a popular thread.

But I must respectfully agree...

I found Disconnect much more memorable and re-playable than Awakening.
    Nearly 700 of my reviews of various synthpop-related releases hosted by:
    www.synthpop.net

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: AWAKENING less good than DISCONNECT ?

Originally posted by lutz
    ...Awakening sounds like a rock album...everytime I try and give it another listen it reminds me of Foreigner.
    Iris (Awakening) = Foreinger!?

Hahahaha...now that's funny.
    \"We are not a rock band but we rock the house.\" - S.I. Futures

Agree? Yes No

i agree as well

i think Awakening completely SUCKS... its a horrible album... i use mine to scoop up my dog's when i take him out for a walk in the park

Iris will never do any better than Annie, Would I Lie To You... they might as well just give up now

Agree? Yes No

I think Awakening is better. Disconnect has some great songs but not the entire CD grabs me. There are even some songs where Reagan's singing is off key.

As for the Rock comment. I can see that with the first three songs not the rest of the CD.

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: AWAKENING less good than DISCONNECT ?

Originally posted by lutz
    Am I the only one who s disappointed with AWAKENING?
    Maybe I just expected too much, after the amazingly brilliant Disconnect, but to me it just sounds slightly old,if not to say pompous.The brilliant thing about disconnect is that it is pure pop on the one hand, and extremely moving on the other, (which is the hardest thing to do),whereas Awakening sounds like a rock album...everytime I try and give it another listen it reminds me of Foreigner.
    Maybe its just the production- some of the songs are still nice, but nothing reaches the heights of Saving Time,or Endless,or Annie,or any of the songs on disconnect.
    I really hope theres gonna be a remix album,maybe that ll change my mind.

egn, your source for laughter.

Agree? Yes No

From a production standpoint, Awakening is stronger. The vocals have also improved, virtually flawless, I think. Those are the probably the reasons why I play Awakening more than Disconnect.

Disconnect had a more original sound, though. Awakening makes me think of early Cause & Effect.

As much as I enjoy Iris, I haven't played Awakening nearly as much as Declaration's Divine Design. Every song on that album grabs hold of me, in so much so I don't want it to end, only to have the same experience with the next track!

Admittedly, your listening experience might not be the same as mine, for Divine Design is fairly diverse, although it is all electronic. But if you enjoy the production and vocals of Iris, I don't think Declaration is an album you want to overlook this year!

Just a little plug from a long-time Declaration fan that is thrilled to see their music see the light of day! All the feedback the band has received on the album has been tremendous so far. Anyway, I hope I am not out of line as to plug a "new" band on the Iris forum... there was a lot of great new stuff this year...
    \"Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
    But desire fulfilled is a tree of life.\"
    --Proverbs 13:12

Agree? Yes No

Wow, this really shows the power of mind over mastering.

I prefer Awakening because the songwriting, vocals, and arrangments/programming are all much stronger than disconnect. Maybe from an engineering standpoint Disconnect has a "fresher to the ears" sound? I would agree that at times Awakening sounds a little dulled by too much SOMETHING but my ears aren't experienced enough to tell me what too much was done in the final mixdowns so could I sound more uneducated?

I think it's great work, especially for this scene which has some brilliant electronic musicians but nearly as many good songwriting/programming teams. I really think that Reagan wrote some strong stuff and it married well with Andrew's approach.

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

I love both, but they are different, probally because are different bands under the same name? for sure!

If Pet Shop Boys lose Chris, the new player could be better, but will sound different, doesn't matter how many he tryed to do the Chris' sound.

Andrew don't tryed do repeat the Matt's work, that's cool and original, but the song's style changed, so many people will like more one than another, it's only question of taste in my opinion.

With Matt we had more hits, more keys solos, something that for a long time we don't hear in synthpop since the 80's in my opinion, but with a modern production.

With Andrew is more ambient and calm songs, with few exceptions, but is also very good, but is a DIFFERENT band.

I think that comparation with Cause & Effect match, because happened the same with them (or almost).

the first album had many hit singles, more strong, and in TRIP album with Keith changed a lot the C&E sound, and in the first listen I don't like much, but after few listens I started to love this album too, that also came from a hit album to a more calm and slow album.

The good point that we still have Matt out there when Sean unfortunately isn't here anymore, and I wish to hear new songs by Matt soon as possible, not only remixes.

Or I'll miss forever his keys melodies...

Freddy

Agree? Yes No

Awakening is a stronger, more modern album. Sure it strays from the typical synthpop formula, but this is a good thing... a very good thing. Iris' electronic rock sensibility is much fresher than your typical, formulaic vat of expired synthpop-milk.

-Kevin

Agree? Yes No

just remember that disconnect was a collection of songs that ranged from '95 to 2000 ... or was it '93 ...
    anywho ...
    i think they are both great albums, and if you don't have them yet, they are highly recommended...
    i might just have to buy the limited edition of awakening so i can get the extra remixes that are on there...
    since i have no idea when the "official remix album" is coming out ...
    i want to play some of the remixes at the club ... you feel me
    and reconnect was ...well ...um....:|

alrighty then,
    jesse
    "jukebox"
    distress

Agree? Yes No

I like "Disconnect" a lot more. I like almost every song on that album, and that's a rarity for me.

On "Awakening" I like "Vacant" & "Unknown" (Especially "Vacant"), and the Magenta Mix of "Sorrow Expert" on the European release....But other than those, most of the songs didn't really vibe with me. Eh, to each their own.

I definitely look forward to more singles for "Awakening" so I can listen to some good remixes (Hopefully Matt Morris will do a remix for whichever singles are released).

Someone mentioned "Reconnect" on this thread....I found the remixes for "Endless" (Echoing Green Remix) and "Waves Crash In" (Midnight Sky Mix) to be brilliant, even better than the originals.

Agree? Yes No

I like Awakening a lot more... actually I don't really like Disconnect that much at all (but okay, a little overexposure of Annie... might have something to do with it). Did someone say Disconnect was original!?!? WHY?

But hey... of course they'll never do better than Annie...

Agree? Yes No

both great albums but u can see iris growing with awakening
    which is a good thing.
    better arrangement better lyrics, all around great album
    unknown and vacant are great songs

Agree? Yes No

I'm in the "Awakening" camp. While I always liked the early stuff that eventually became "Disconnect", it just doesn't sound like an album to me - it's more like a singles collection. I also feel that the the newest tracks (Lose in Wanting, Waves Crash In, and Danger is the Shame), along with the new version of "Saving Time", don't mesh with the earlier tracks. This is mainly due to the difference in production and the band starting to move in a different direction than in the earlier material, which sounds very dated to me. It's nice stuff, but always sounded more generic to me.

Overall, I think "Awakening" contains excellent songwriting, great lyrics, a more modern sound, and is just more cohesive as a work. The songs compliment each other very well. In my opinion, "Vacant" and "Island" are the two best tracks Iris has ever done.

Both albums are great work, though.
    \"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.\"
    - Homer Simpson

test

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by interface2x
    .... In my opinion, "Vacant" and "Island" are the two best tracks Iris has ever done.

Both albums are great work, though.
    I have to whole heartedly agree with Colin! They are two incredible songs. I listened to both today and I could listen to them on repeat and not get tired.

I love Disconnect, don't get me wrong, because that is the album that got me into this awesome band. However, Awakening touches my soul. It is a masterpiece from start to finish. It's an album to be proud of. I am extremely pleased with the direction that they are taking. I love this band!

Agree? Yes No

Is it just me, am I right in thinking that Stephanie loves Iris, I don't know were that feeling comes from but I'm under that weird impression.

Just kidding :O)

Agree? Yes No

Hmmm...I've never gotten that impression. What makes you think so?
    \"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.\"
    - Homer Simpson

test

Agree? Yes No

Yeppers, I love those boys. I even have an iris sticker on my car. It's the only one on my new car.

Agree? Yes No

There are only a handful of albums that I can play without skipping over a single song ... Awakening is one of them. And NO, I am not being bias. ;-)

Disconnect is a great album, but I definitely think that Awakening is just a more mature album.
    I don\'t advise
    and I don\'t criticise
    I just know what I like
    with my own eyes...

Thread Information