Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Something I don't get...

Agree? Yes No

Default Something I don't get...

...perhaps someone could explain it to me. Lately there has been a rash of threads involving songs either in commercials or being covered. If I like them or not has no bearing on what I'm wondering, which is thus: Why do people get uppity and/or offended when they hear a certain song being used in a commercial or being covered? Just a curiosity really as I don't really care either way, but personally I think it's good for the artists involved and even if I don't like what they're trying to sell me (Singular minutes, Minivans, Candy, etc, etc) or the rendition being done, it in no way affects or diminishes how I initially felt about the song. If anything, it just makes me laugh a little, and that's a good thing. Now, am I missing something? Why do you all care?

Agree? Yes No

I agree with you, my good sir. Doesn't bother me at all...I mean, I don't think that our parents freaked out when they heard "Blowin' in the Wind" advertising air conditioners (or, for my parents--Ragtime)
    We\'re no longer as thick as thieves

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

I tend to like bopping around the mall or grocery store to the sounds that I am familiar with. Hell, I was tickled all shades when a friend of mine got the T.O.Y. video included in a video compilation that they play at Nordstrom's Brass Rail.

Agree? Yes No

Better "I'll Melt With You" than Celine Dion (no offence intended to Celine fans, of course!)

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

I agree with both of ya. It's always a good time to hear an artist's take on someone else song.

Some people are a bit protective of their well loved songs, and dare I say it, many of us are a bit elitest in our musical ferver. Why? Hell if I know. Maybe people use the music they listen to as some kind of identity, and they don't want "the mainstream" latching on to the monkey they so proudly display on their backs.

All just conjecture, of course; Just making conversation!

-Kevin

Agree? Yes No

Hey, lay off that monkey on my back. I have an appointment this week to have it surgically removed.

Agree? Yes No

I think the only REAL problem with covers is if they're brutally raped by the worst of the commercial artists out there. And I'm not one of those people who talk about selling out, or how commercial is all terrible, just when fantastic heart felt songs are re-hashed in cock faced ways.
    The t.v. ads that use some great songs from "our scene" aren't that bad, except most of the original artists aren't seein cents from them.
    I agree, it's not that bad though-they usually don't ruin the original for me.

Agree? Yes No

Iffin' y'all want to see a funny example of covers and comebacks--take a look at the film "Love Actually." Hilarious!

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

The cover thing doesn't bother me much, I think it's pretty cool that some old songs come back to life with commercials...Like Conditioner said though, it's sad that these original artists don't see their share of the profits from the songs being used...Tears For Fears sued Saturn and won just recently for them using an old song without permission...

Maybe thats where I get all uppety...I just don;t like seeing some of the older artists getting ripped off...Other than that, I say cover songs all you want, it's almost always in homage anyway

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

I am a bit torn about the ad thing. A part of me is glad to see artists getting more attention and a wider fanbase, as well as exposing people to quality music that they may not otherwise find. The only issue I have is seeing something that has a personal meaning to me, used to sell. Hearing The Cure's "Pictures of You" recently on an HP ad kind of bummed me out a bit. Anyway....
    ...the revolution will be synthesized...

Agree? Yes No

heh heh...Conditioner said "cock faced"....heh heh..yeah, yeah

Kids, we have a new word for the day! Perhaps even the week...
    \"I\'m just an ordinary man
    With extraordinary hands
    I don\'t want to hear your answers
    I don\'t have the big plan\"

Lead ElectroGardener Bornslippy's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

Ok, my work building is right behind the Century City shopping center... One time I walked at Macy's and there , they were playing the video of Peace and Love Inc by Insoc... That was my first time watching that video... This was back in Aug btw.... I think that was really shagadelic man..
    \"don\'t tell me, don\'t tell me, Depeche Mode right, yeahhh I like his stuff. Keep it up.

Simon Lebon of Duran Duran

Agree? Yes No

One think I've found interesting about Japanese TV commercials is that a lot of the time they will include a musical note and the name of the artist in the bottom corner. I've heard Duran Duran and Brian Ferry recently in car ads. People then go out to buy the single and there's a note 'as heard on ... ad' so the car sells the song and the song sells the car. Interesting twist.
    A04 of SoundMine, self-proclaimed electromilitant

Agree? Yes No

It is interesting how many artists have no problem lending their songs or likeness to such ads in Europe and especially Japan, like AO4 says...i know back in the day Duran had a rather popular ad for Suntory Whiskey in Japan featuring Is There Something I Should Know...while very hot, the ad itself is kinda creepy cos they are these bobble head things

Anywho, just breaks the heart a bit though when, like rust cited, you hear a song like Pictures of You hocking something as trivial as printers...

What i find even more disturbing though is when i hear a muzak rendition of something once considered "alternative"...nothing quite like cruising down that feminine hygiene aisle in ShopRite hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit

Thread Information