Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remix vs Rework....

Agree? Yes No

Cool Remix vs Rework....

Like most of you here, I'm a fan of a great remix, particularly when it extends an already great song a few extra minutes. Yet, sometimes, the mixes have NOTHING to do with the original song and sound like a new track all together.

How many of you prefer the "old school" extended mixes by the likes of Francois Kevorkian, Arthur Baker, Shep Pettibone, Marc Saunders, Peter Lorimer, Bob Sinclair, Razormaid, etc...?

How many prefer complete makeovers by the likes of The Underworld, Tin Tin Out, Dirty Vegas, Coldcut, Deep Dish, TP2K, etc..?

One thing I have noticed, is a slight return to the classic extended mix with a new kick. These mixes are done by the likes of Felix Da Housecat, Royskopp, etc... They extend the songs, and add just the right amount of new material to spice it up.

Anyway, just curious what most of you think. I guess I like both, with a lean towards the old school extended mixes.

X Esquire
    \"Hide Your Voice With The Sound Of The Crowd.....\"

Agree? Yes No

The purpose of a remix is to change the recording for a specific purpose.

So you can remix for a electro club, dance club, radio etc.

A great remix would be one that fullfils its pupose, and changes only as much as neccary to acheive that.

Ive never heard a remix thats better than th original, except where the the original mix was edited down from something bigger, IE some of the frankie goes to hollywood stuff, and the original mix was too heavily edited from the original tapes, and misses out some cool stuff, so it can be put on a 7inch single.
    a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

The Pink Noise Club Mix of "Dream On", to me, is better than the original. JMHO

Agree? Yes No

I tend to like when the artist who is remixing puts their own stamp on the song, but I usually don't like if the song is unrecognizable. It is great when two band's sounds mesh. I think Felix Da Housecat does a great job in handling this. His remixes are usually unmistakably Felix but are completely recognizable from the original. I think Playgroup does a good job with this too. Some highlights for me in the remix department this year have been Felix' remix of Karl Bartos' I'm The Message, Ladytron's remix of Dave Gahan's I Need You and anything by The Droyds. The only complete rework I kind of like is the Telephone Sensor mix of Camouflage's I Can't Feel You. I don't know who did this (is Telephone Sensor an actual artist?) but even though it sounds nothing like the original, I like it.

P.S. Another standout for me this year was our very own Intervox' mix of Madonna's Deeper & Deeper. It may be older than this year but this year is when I first heard it.
    Just to keep you from danger, I am the law.
    WXJL Tonight Radio - electronix: cross-genre, cross-generation.

Agree? Yes No

Very kind of you to say, Deej, thanks! As far as remixes I've done, it depends, some stay true to the original, some don't. It depends on the vocals. For example, Madonna's songs are very distinct in her singing them, so no matter what I could do, you can always tell what song it was. Other vocalists aren't as definitive, so a remix could lose the original song quite easily. I take this into consideration when I do remixes.

Agree? Yes No

What I really liked about your Deeper & Deeper remix is you changed the whole tone of her vocals with your instrumentation. Your remix makes the song sound introspective, almost poetic which is quite a change from the original which I just loved as a simple dance song. It brings out the yearning in her words.

Agree? Yes No

where can i listen to this IVox mix of Madge???
    fan of both artists...need to hear it now.

Agree? Yes No

Personally, I like old, extended versions. I love hearing a long version of a favorite song. But, I've also enjoyed certain remixes that restructure the music, as long as they keep the original song intact. As somebody said, sometimes, the point is to take the original version and remix it to fit a certain purpose, like to appeal more to club DJ's or whatever. That can have good results.

What I DON'T like is when the remixer changes all the music around, and in the process abandons the original song. They loop a word or two from the lyrics and call it a mix. Once the original song is gone, then the remix is no longer an alternate version in my mind, but just becomes a new track by the remixer. I think bands like Erasure and Depeche Mode suffered from some of those kinds of mixes in the mid 90's. You'd pop in a single and hear thumping drums, a word or two looped through a filter, and it was supposed to be a remix. Blah!

Sure, change the music, but keep the song intact! Just my 3 cents.
    -Todd

Agree? Yes No

your 3 cents is exactly what I like to put in to the jar as well
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

I say so long as there is enough of the original there (ie, more than just a snippet of vocal) it's all fair game.
    !J!
    http://www.endif.org
    http://thirdwavecollective.com

Agree? Yes No

I heard the remixes of Fischerspooner's 'Emerge', but I guess what I wanted was a version closer to the original without all the breaks for a better dancefloor response. I didn't get that. I liked the original electro feel but the remixes were pounding and lost the original feel.

As far as a remix sounding better than the original song, I bought Z Prochek based on the remixes of two different tracks only to find that I didn't really like the originals that much. A few years back, I picked up the Zen Cowboys based on remixes only to find much more sedate originals. In these cases, the remixers injected a new life into the music, imho.

I also tend to dislike 'dance' remixes that don't seem to be danceable at any level of inebriation. I like to refer to these as 'what were you thinking' remixes.

Oddly enough, I've found some artists that do wicked remix work, but don't seem to do as well with their own original work. Is that strange or what?
    A04 of SoundMine, self-proclaimed electromilitant

Agree? Yes No

I also enjoy when Band's remix thier own tracks (i.e. the New Order mix of Regret...) Remix or rework aside, I'm hooked on mixes and sink way too much money on CD singles and vinyl to get them

X Esquire

Agree? Yes No

I much prefer early to mid eighties extended mixes. I more or less stopped purchasing extended versions of anything beginning in the late 80's due to the butchering of the original. House mixes completely turned me off especially when the song did not lend itself well at all to reworking it in this genre. There was so much pressure it seemed to do a house mix due to the popularity of the genre. Shep Pettibone's mix of "Something About You" by Level 42 is a solid example of stretching out and improving on a great song.

Agree? Yes No

swerve, good call on the Shep mix of Level 42... LOVE that one...

X Esquire

Agree? Yes No

I forgot to mention that the extended versions of songs from the early to mid 80's were quite often improved upon versions due to the added production values whereas in the late 80's and beyond the opposite frequently occurred, the songs were stripped away. I found the mixes much less appealing.

Agree? Yes No

I think the main reason of the extended remixes of the 80's stopped was only because the singles format, and also because the material that is available to do a remix.

first in any singles we had many different songs playing different parts of the song, aside the a capella version of the song. so was easy get these parts and putting in a loop and recreate all the song, without a single non-original sample. that was very good to amateur DJs.

second, on that time the label always sent ALL tracks to the remixer (professional), so in almost cases he only add few samples and effects, and only REALLY do the mixing again in another order, that's why this is called "remix" I think.

today the only thing given in almost times is only the vocals, so the remixers need to know music (before not, only good taste), need to play instruments (before not), and a lot of more things that the remixer don't had to do before.

That's why many Dj's that used to make great remixes in the past dissapeared, and the best new remixes are made by bands/musicians.

Simply because DJs that are very good with his pick-ups but don't know music, do always a very poor and repetitive remix (in 99% of the cases), in many cases OUT OF TUNE!!

I really don't like to say that what I made to few bands was really a remix work, because I really don't mix again anything, first because I don't received any stuff to do that "remix".

I always create a full new song, arrangements, etc, and any bands that do remix work today do the same, and that's why the remixes today are so different than original songs in my opinion.

And in the end the only "remix" that I made is mix the original vocals with my arrangement. I don't think that this could be named as remix? could I? but today that's what we all call it...

I love both types of remixes, the really remixes, and the rework.
    In both cases we have many exemples of remixes a lot better than the original song.

But will be good to have exteneded versions again. Today the last one that I heard was made by the own band, like Iris with "Annie..." that is fantastic, and I don't think is possible to do that today aside by the own band.

Well, this my point of view.

Freddy

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by ElectroSwank
    where can i listen to this IVox mix of Madge???
    fan of both artists...need to hear it now.
    I'm not sure myself but I'm sure IVox knows. It won a Madge remix contest I believe and that's how I heard about it and found it. It was before I even knew who Intervox was, my first introduction to his music actually.

Agree? Yes No

I found like link for ya, it's

here

It might sound a little familar... The chorus has an odd feel to it, but oh well...

Agree? Yes No

ďRe-issue ! Re-package ! Re-package !
    Re-evaluate the songs
    Double-pack with a photograph
    Extra Track (and a tacky badge)Ē ĖThe Smiths

They forgot "remix"! Iíve never really been a huge fan of remixes, reworking, or extended versions. Couple of reasons I suspect, some more valid than others. For starters itís virtually impossible for me to keep up the explosion of such offerings so the green headed monster rears itís ugly head. I buy so much dang music and canít keep from drowning in a sea of original releases. There are, after all, only so many hours in a day and only so many dollars to spend.

I appreciate it when a disc comes with a bonus disc containing remixes. Occasionally there are some enjoyable moments but overall I still prefer the original version. This is likely to rankle some and so Iíll apologize in advance and note that it is only my opinion, but I think many if not most of the remixes take the ďlaptop musicianĒ thing a bit too far. Probably the biggest slam on electronic music from the unwashed masses is that this isnít ďrealĒ music to begin with. Until the day I see an electric guitar growing on a tree Iíll argue this misconception Ďtill the day I die. Still it seems to me that taking an existing piece of art (isnít that what all music is?), slapping in some more beats, throwing in an additional groove or two, and some looping tossed in for good measure falls short of qualifying as either art or music expression. Whatís next? Copying the Mona Lisa adding some horns and a beard and opening a gallery show? Itís fine to allow for artistic expression but for me, Iíll take the original every single time.

That being said, there are obviously some great remixes out there that many enjoy. More power to the fan and the computer junkie that produced it. There is obviously some musical intuition and skill that goes in to the final remix project. Iíll also admit that I have zero remixing skills and probably even less musical ability so I guess I donít have any real insight of the remix process. I do know that like everything else most of it revolves around the almighty dollar (or currency of your choice!) and it seems like a much easier way to get money than by creating something truly original. In the end I guess it boils down to that: I have much greater respect for the process of the original creation than tampering with something thatís already there. A good song doesn't need the help and a great song should be left the L alone.

Regards,
    jc

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by arronc
    Ive never heard a remix thats better than th original, except where the the original mix was edited down from something bigger,
    Sometimes I've heard the original AFTER hearing a well done remix and developed a preference for the remix because nowadays some of the best programmer's work ends up being found in the form of remixes.

Mastering can't save a bad recording but remixing can save a bad song

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Thread Information