Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Childhood icons of your generation

Agree? Yes No

Default Childhood icons of your generation

I've been thinking the things that stick with you that you are exposed to in childhood, the things you think are cool. I got onto this because I began wondering what Eric is going to remember as his childhood icons -- Teletubbies, Dora the Explorer, and Tiny Planets seems to be what he's interested in now.

I got to thinking about the kids' shows that i watched and how they've changed over the years. Growing up, we had Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, The Electric Company, Speed Racer, the Flintstones and the Jetsons. We could watch 6 TV channels in St. Louis and two of them were indies. Cable TV wasn't available where we lived, in Festus, MO about 32 miles south of St. Louis. My video game was an Atari 2600, and we couldn't afford a "real" computer, so my parents bought me a Sinclair ZX-81 that we had to build as a kit.

My parents drove a Ford Maverick that took on 200,000 miles, and Ford Granada that completely fell apart in all of 4 years. And a Buick Estate Wagon, which when we sold it was when I was taught that when you're selling a used car, you shouldn't volunteer the information that it overheats.

The brand new sandwich at McDonald's was the Quarter Pounder with Cheese. My grandmother, ever the traditionalist, always bought a Big Mac. We all cried when Burger Chef went out of business and was bought out by Hardee's. But the new, bizarre, hezagonal burgers with toppings like mushroom and swiss cheese turned out to be okay anyway.

It was cool to be a Boy Scout. (Man, have times changed there.) Heck, Erik Estrada was cool. M*A*S*H was a religion. Both Cardinals teams sucked, but we rooted for them anyway, back when Mike Tyson was a 2nd baseman, not a boxer. Hockey was just catching on in town. By bizarre cross-pollination, the Cards ended up with a 3rd baseman nicknamed "the Zamboni machine".

The hot new music on the scene was disco, but as little kids we didn't quite get it. Our music was to come later in the form of weird looking British guys with keyboards and square drums. The hot novelty records were "Disco Duck", "A Fifth of Beethoven", and "Hooked on Classics".

We wore bell-bottom jeans -- willingly! We saw movies at drive-in theatres, and my mom always made me duck down behind the seats when the racy parts came. "Star Wars" blew everyone's mind.

By the time 1980 came, I was 12 years old, and then popular culture was finally ready for my generation.
    ====
    DAVID VESEL -- synthetic music for humans
    On the Electrogarden Network
    Official Web Site
    Your mileage may vary.

Agree? Yes No

I'm the same age as you are, David, so pretty much what you said! I remember watching the original Road Runner/Coyote cartoons on the Bugs Bunny show too, before it was deemed overly violent. My mom used to read to me from Little Golden Books. My folks drove Oldsmobiles until they got fed up with them breaking down all the time. Cheap TV sets were in black and white. The biggest sets didn't get more than 20 some inches. Also, my dad had to put a big TV antenna outside the house to get TV reception, and the TVs had knobs you had to turn to change the channels, and another knob you had to pull or push to turn the TV on or off. Wait, they *still* have one of those TVs in their house, and it still works!
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

Seeing as things began to reallyt ake shape and develope for me in the 80's, my life pretty much starts there...

I remember waking up super early to catch the Transformers, G.I. Joe, and all of the other Saturday Morning cartoons...I loved The Great Space Coaster, Whitney And The Robot, Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow and Mr. Rodgers...I loved being a child in the80's...

Then we got our first computer...A Commodore 64!!! Woohoo!!! The first videogame system I remember us having was the Atari 2600 and Pac Man Fever was always playing on the radio here...I had the pleasure of my first loved bands being Tears For Fears, Thompson Twins, Duran Duran, Human League, RUN DMC, and everyone on my block was breakdancing!!! Hell I remember riding a big wheel!!!

I miss being young...Can I be a kid again pretty please???

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

Hmmm. Okay! This is the kind of thread that makes me happy!

I came from a poor family. We had a run-down house on Railroad Ave. in a small town called Hallstead, PA. We didn't get our first color television until I was 16. (1986)

I wasn't really big into cartoons. Rather, I enjoyed live-action shows like Shazam and Isis, ElectraWoman and Dyna-Girl, and in Prime Time, WonderWoman, The Incredible Hulk, and The Dukes of Hazard. I grew up on the sitcoms of the day. I remember watching Alice, Maude, The Jeffersons, and Good Times with my mother. Those were great memories for me.

I was a video game WHORE! We had an old Commodore 64 that we hooked up to a black and white television, and we would copy (by hand) the computer programs for video games, then try them. The programs were long, and flawed, so the games rarely played correctly. I begged my parents for an Atari 2600, which I got. I loved it so much, but I was an angry child when it came to losing games. I remember throwing the joystick through a window while playing DigDug. (Dr. Freud???)

And Underoos! I had Superman, and my sister had Wonder Woman. We traded. She's living a nice quiet life with her girlfriend and I with my boyfriend.....
    I think I might have just answered an age old question. Gotta run.

Jamie

Agree? Yes No

I can agree with all that was said. WOW...it is so odd how no matter where you came from or how you were raised we all were exposed to the same things. I grew up in Nebraska in a town of like 3000 people...so i always felt very very sheltered from the rest of the country. I loved all of the same shows as the rest of you guys and i even had underroos....so i guess i was not that sheltered. LOL....although i want to add one more show to the list..."The Land of the Lost"....man i loved that show.
    \"You fat ...You ain\'t got a job. \"
    Boyz in the Hood

Agree? Yes No

I absolutely loved my Atari 2600! (can't u tell from my avatar?). I was very lucky growing up. Even though my parents didnt have much money, they always managed to scrounge up enough to get me some really neat stuff. Among, my favorites were my Star Wars toys, Atari, Shogun Warriors, & Firefox.

As far as shows: I agree with Jamie, Wonder Woman, Hulk, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Dukes of Hazard. Here are some wierd ones : Little house on the Prairie, Knots Landing.

Agree? Yes No

Knots Landing? Um, okay.....

Yes, I watched Dukes of Hazzard, The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Emergency!, but we were mainly a M*A*S*H household.

One time I beat a drunk millionaire at Video Pinball on my 2600....
    ====
    DAVID VESEL -- synthetic music for humans
    On the Electrogarden Network
    Official Web Site
    Your mileage may vary.

Agree? Yes No

Well, for me, I remember mum attaching the horses to the chariot, and old dad attending the games at the Colissuem--

Actually, my father had a brand spanking new Datsun 260Z, for which he traded our station wagon (The old Country Squire). I remember watching What's Happening, Good Times, All in the Family, marveling at the wonders of the Commodore 64 and this crazy hand held adding machine (calculator) by Texas Instruments...
    We\'re no longer as thick as thieves

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

what about niel and buzz driving around in thier little space car on the moon.
    the apollo rocket ship.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by NJOberheim
    I absolutely loved my Atari 2600! (can't u tell from my avatar?). I was very lucky growing up. Even though my parents didnt have much money, they always managed to scrounge up enough to get me some really neat stuff. Among, my favorites were my Star Wars toys, Atari, Shogun Warriors, & Firefox.

As far as shows: I agree with Jamie, Wonder Woman, Hulk, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Dukes of Hazard. Here are some wierd ones : Little house on the Prairie, Knots Landing.
    NJ -- What game is your avatar from? I knew that looked familiar!!!
    Jamie

Agree? Yes No

Little House on the Prarie ruled! I was really into eating fun dip (aka: Lik-M-Aid), playing the Atari 2600 (fav game-Yar's Revenge), worshipping Lance Mountain, Steve Caballero, Tony Hawk and Tony Magnussen. Also, hanging out at U-Totem, playing Joust and Ghosts and Goblins all day with money meant for lunch.

Agree? Yes No

Ok. I really do hate to admit this, but I also enjoyed "Little House".
    A few others that I enjoyed (hides in corner):
    Hee Haw
    Green Acres
    and
    Lawrence Welk o 0 O0 0o O 0 O < -- those are bubbles.
    Jamie

Agree? Yes No

All I can say is that I was big on D & D (Dungens & Dragons), cartoons, comics and fantasy/sci-fi novels, and fighting my brothers! Ahhhhhhh nostalgia!!!
    \"You gave away your life\'s grace. I cannot protect you any more!\"

Thread Information