Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electro recommendations?

Agree? Yes No

Default electro recommendations?

im really new to electro(synth, pop, clash, etc). I was hoping someone could make some recommendations. I like Fischerspooner and John B. Unfortunately, thats all I know by name.

Agree? Yes No

Try out Client and Ladytron's Light & Magic album.
    Just to keep you from danger, I am the law.
    WXJL Tonight Radio - electronix: cross-genre, cross-generation.

Lead ElectroGardener KissTheStar's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

If you like those bands I would also suggest The Postal Service and Venus Hum ...

Check out the underground bands here in the music section at the Electrogarden. You have a ton of option right under your nose right here.

~Craig

Agree? Yes No

This website gives you a great opportunity to listen to new electro music to decide what you might like, so check out the listening section (so many bands to list there).

I'd also check out the new Real Life album "Imperfection" which is awsome: www.reallifemusic.net

Just about anything released through A Different Drum and Ninthwave are all good bets too....

X Esquire
    \"Hide Your Voice With The Sound Of The Crowd.....\"

Agree? Yes No

Depeche Mode, Neuroactive, Erasure, Weird Al.
    \"the hours of your life were mismeasured,
    yet the missing time crawls, seeps grudgingly
    from your halted vessels and quiet bloodstream,
    from the soul-open stillness of your heart,
    to the uncaring mask that has become your face\"

from \"deadhand deadface\"
    \"\"

Agree? Yes No

Frank Sinatra and the Supremes.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

Nah, Frank Stallone is better. Seriously, check it out at: http://www.frankstallone.com/musician.html

He's got an amazing voice when it comes to the Cole Porter classics, etc...

Agree? Yes No

So you already know you like the electro clash scene. My favorite in the genre would be The Faint's "Danse Macabre" although if you stumble into a copy of "Blank Wave Arcade" you should seriously think about that one too. The rest are all older variations of the band and nothing like the current incarnation. Danse Macabre roolz!

I'm also smitten with Miss Kitten. She appears on her own or you can look around and quickly discover that she's very much in demand and appears often in conjuction with others. Felix Da Housecat "Kittenz And Thee Glitz", Diesleboy, and plenty of others. There is a great comp that features many clash bands called "This is Tech-pop". It's pretty decent and features a wide array of sounds.

Ladytron is always a good choice. Met with some critical acclaim as well and that is fairly rare.

good luck sorting the wheat from the chaffe. That is half the fun, isn't it?

jc

Agree? Yes No

hi all
    miss kittin, felix house da cat, x- wife , swayzak, w.i.t , dj hell, tiga, and more ...
    greetings to all electro fans from portugal with love,sex and electro, eheeh
    www.algarvedjs.com best partys at south of portugal

Agree? Yes No

i have an mp3.com station called Escapism...
    which offers a nice blend of electro / synthpop / trance
    if you have some free time, feel free and give it a listen

http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/398/escapism1.html

it's still a work in progress, but i think you'll like it

alrighty then,
    jesse
    "jukebox"
    distress

Agree? Yes No

Soviet should be here somewhere.
    !J!
    http://www.endif.org
    http://thirdwavecollective.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Jim Clark
    So you already know you like the electro clash scene. My favorite in the genre would be The Faint's "Danse Macabre" although if you stumble into a copy of "Blank Wave Arcade" you should seriously think about that one too. The rest are all older variations of the band and nothing like the current incarnation. Danse Macabre roolz!
    i bought one of The Faint cds. I don't remember which one, but it sounded a bit too 80's for my taste. I dunno, I'll listen to it a couple times. Maybe it will grow on me.

I'll definitely check out what this site has to offer

Agree? Yes No

Try Erasure, Soft Cell, Gary Numan, Alphaville, Iris, etc. Don't forget about Spanish synthpop either, there are some great bands like Cetu Javu, Santuario, and OBK. Like somebody mentioned above, A Different Drum is a good place to go to look for new bands.
    If you like harsher stuff there is industrial, ebm, power noise, etc. Bands like Hocico, Covenant, Dioxyde, Front line Assembly, Arzt+Pfusch, and Terrorfakt are some recommendations.
    M3L1B174

Agree? Yes No

You could try some of the independent stuff, like Adult (female vocals) or The Mitgang Audio (lots of robot-vocals and bleepy old-school sounds).
    Try Karl Bartos new CD "Communication" too. That's the roots of this "electro" music style anyway.

-Todd

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Jim Clark
    "This is Tech-pop". It's pretty decent and features a wide array of sounds.
    Yeah, I second this compilation as a great starting point. Almost everything I love now first came to my attention on this disc.
    Just to keep you from danger, I am the law.
    WXJL Tonight Radio - electronix: cross-genre, cross-generation.

Agree? Yes No

Cool synth fragmented..

funny how the replies to this post point out how different the musical extremes of this genre can be.

the posts here already outline most my favs. for a beginner, a couple "easier to digest" groups to sample the different dimensions of the genre:

postal service - poppy and more clever than the avg
    anything box - 80s
    soviet - 80s redux
    the faint - dark and rocky
    iris - modern mainstream synth
    ganymede - modern synth with a european taste
    echo image - dance poppy
    assemblage 23 - darkwave

kh

Agree? Yes No

no kidding, i didn't expect the terms here to be as loose as the word "techno" is to some people

Agree? Yes No

Ganymede (like ksh9 says they have a very European taste)
    Ladytron
    Soviet

My main faves.

Craig

Agree? Yes No

Here's my list:

Ganymede, for light and bright electropop
    Gary Flanagan, eternally stuck in 1981
    Freezepop, more fruity blippiness
    Agency-X, if you like Erasure
    I Satellite, if you like Dare-era Human League
    Travelogue, if you like pre-Dare Human League
    Space March/Electrosquad, if you're into the 60's groove
    Neuropa, for straight ahead Erasurism
    Seven Words, the best songwriting this side of Color Theory
    Wave in Head, if you're into Camouflage or early De/Vision
    Madmen in Vienna, the 21st century's Duran Duran
    Nurvis, New Order experimentalism with female vocals
    Entropy64, more female vocals here, very stylish!

Just look around A Different Drum or my site at http://www.synthpop.fm and you'll find links to some of these and others!

Agree? Yes No

Here's my list. I'm not a big fan of "Electroclash" stuff. You may take note my list is "Postal Service", "Venus Hum", and "Ladytron" free! (Don't freak on me people, just havin' some fun here). Try some darker stuff out, Don't just go with the light stuff:
    I like the new Infekktion CD-"Toxical Colous", Also new Haujobb-"Vertical Theory", new Absurd Minds-"The Focus", or new Fictional-"Fiction". I find Indie Rock bands jumping on the "electronic bandwagon"-I.E.-Postal Service, to be kinda annoying. Just my opinion, but there it is.

Thread Information