Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goggles and Glowsticks: From harsh to synthpop rave

Agree? Yes No

I think its two wayyyy different scenes...but I will tell ya this.
    In sept 2000 when I saw VNV w/ Apop, it felt like the atmosphere of a rave...it was not like the industrial shows of old. Very high energy, everyone was happy...lots of cure cyberpunk/rivet girls with big stompy boots and goggles...a very happening atmosphere. I never got that with the old industrial scene.

But yeah, while EBM has gone more synthpop trancey, its just a different scene...rave is moree about nonstop music that flows, the clubs i go to is more wait then put down your drink when ya hear the song ya dig. This scene I think is older too, wheread the candy kid raver scene, while I applaud the 'P.L.U.R.' thing has been way too stigmatized with silly fashion and drug usage.
    Then again, folks could say goggles and alcohol is silly fashion and drug usage...so tomato to-mah-to
    .:\\\\.:PockyBot:.//
    www.pockybot.com
    a cyberpunk kid...a tech girl, and a ninja penguin...the wacky cyberpunk adventure has begun

Agree? Yes No

Damn goggleheads, ruining it for the rest of us.

Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

What in the name of all that is holy is a Candy kid? I thought that was a trick-or-treater...but then again, I'm ancient...
    We\'re no longer as thick as thieves

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

lmao- you can call it that if you want.
    // lost are the ones who love at all costs //

Agree? Yes No

lol being called a candy kid is an insult.
    M3L1B174

Agree? Yes No

No, I mean, are these actually kids who eat candy? Who go to raves? I'm sorry, I'm a bit behind on the proper terminology...I just found out what a Rivethead was...!

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

yea they eat lots of candy and pass out like...candy and stuffed animals at raves and trade really colorful beads with eachother-
    they're a really happy-colorful group of people, and when i say colorful...i mean- colorful style of clothing and colorful group of people- they have respect for all ethnic groups and they don't like to single people out...

yea anyways- i think sometimes the candy kid scene can go a little over board with the style and beads and what-not. My clothes isn't based on any scene or whatever, I just wear whatever I like- but i still have to respect everyone's choice of style- and yea, i respect the whole p.l.u.r idea too. But I gues sometimes they get so much into the trading beads and passing candy that it's as if they've forgotten all about the music.

Agree? Yes No

Now, I am completely at a loss! Is passing candy a euphemism of some kind? Trading beads? Sounds like Woodstock (or Mardi Gras)!

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

I think they call them candy kids Jup because their style has to do with a lot of bright and colorful clothing, and they tend to be very giddy and young. Thus the term "candy kid."
    M3L1B174

Agree? Yes No

i have no idea- they're just obsessed with candy- and now that i come to think of it...it does sorta sound like mardi gras.....

and yea- the majority of them are young...adults....
    They're teenagers who bring out the children in
    themselves- very care-free people.

Agree? Yes No

OK, ladies, thank you--I think that I understand...its sort of like Halloween and Mardi Gras meets electronic music. One for the record books indeed!

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by melibita
    I think they call them candy kids Jup because their style has to do with a lot of bright and colorful clothing, and they tend to be very giddy and young. Thus the term "candy kid."
    *shivers in horror* Sounds like there's a lot of kids out there who need direction in life
    www.pockybot.com
    a cyberpunk kid...a tech girl, and a ninja penguin...the wacky cyberpunk adventure has begun

Agree? Yes No

Default oh god... i'm so depressed

" black on black...."

i'm glad for some of it... ( as i stated earlier: when others like synthpop/goth it keeps our nights open - we should be thankful)

oh... and gothy goth goth

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by rivetbadtz

*shivers in horror* Sounds like there's a lot of kids out there who need direction in life
    If I ever had to make a movie it would have to be a b-movie type with those evil brightly dressed kids with pacifiers and beads! And circus tent pants.
    M3L1B174

Agree? Yes No

Is it just me, or are the circus-tent phatpants a uniquely american innovation? The last few times I've travelled out-of-country I've not seen a single pair, not even at big trance clubs. But then my sampling density has a very small n so maybe I just missed something.
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by NullDevice
    Is it just me, or are the circus-tent phatpants a uniquely american innovation? The last few times I've travelled out-of-country I've not seen a single pair, not even at big trance clubs. But then my sampling density has a very small n so maybe I just missed something.
    Youre very correct...indeed it is an unfortunate biproduct of
    kid's going "you know what, f it...I give up, I'm just donna dress as annoying and embarassing as I can"...then again, perhaps it is 'black on black', or the pot calling the kettle indigo.
    The stigma behind candy kids: the big 'can fit 20 clowns in em' pants, beads, stuff animals...oh gosh...*runs and cowers in corner*
    www.pockybot.com

Agree? Yes No

I have to chime in here and let you know you are all 90% wrong about the "rave" scene.

You think "ravers" dont care or know anything about the music? Take Armin van Buuren at Glow in Washington DC last Sat. People drove as far as 8 hours to see him. I even met a girl there from Denmark. These kids know insane ammounts about the music they love. At a goth/industrial club, if a track no one has heard before comes on, its like the parting of the red sea on the dance floor. When a big name DJ plays, if a new track gets played the crowd goes insane. They actually get mad if you play to much old stuff. They want the newest hottest tracks, and they know the names to everyone of them. In fact, we left the Afterparty with Armin at 8am by the time I made the two hour drive home, there was almost a complete track list posted on a message board. These were mostly unreleased tracks. So these kids do know and care about the music.

They also have much more diverse taste in music. I noticed in the goth scene. That you have to be either into goth, EBM, Noise, Synthpop, and your not "allowed" to like any of the others. I do know quite a bit about the goth/industrial scene. I got my start spinning synthpop in the mid 90s, and was part of the goth/industrial scene since I was 14. Havent been to a goth club in about a year now, just because I know I will hear the same tracks as my last time there when I do go back. So I am speaking from expierence here. Yet in the"rave" scene. I know people that I will see out for techno, house, trance, progressive, breaks, everything. They will also know the difference between each genre, and be extremly picky about what DJs they see. Every DJ has an individule style. You just have to know the music to be able to hear it.

Sure, drug use is prevelant, but I know just as many people in the goth/industrial, punk, and other scenes that are just as into drugs.

I was really ammused at all this talk about open minded people who were putting done something they obviously know nothing about. And I guess this just goes to show that some of us "ravers" though I no longer dress the part, and I retired my 20 hole docs, and all black clothing years ago, do care about the scene, music, and not just the drugs. Next time any of you fly 3000 miles across an ocean and spend a weekend in another country to see your favorite DJs, let me know. Thats devotion to the music.

This ends my rant. I need to go to bed. I wouldnt be so motivated to write all this if I werent exhausted and in a bad mood.

Agree? Yes No

i hate genres, get rid of them all, some djs take it to the extreme, and all that's left is pigeon-holed music. it's not enough to call it electronic, we have to call it "mod trance with a twist of drum 'n' bass/jungle/idm/brain candy/technospaz"....ridiculous...

now, where did i put my candy pacifier...

Agree? Yes No

In response to Ekstasis

I see things the other way around, I see this scene to be much more diverse than a raver typical nigth, as the music swings from DM, Cure, Smiths, Ministry, Suicide Commando, Fictionnal, Miss Kitten, VNV, Apop, New Order, Implant, Epsilon Minus. the sound is way more diverse that a typical rave scene. Granted, if a song is new, the dancefloor will probably empty out more than a rave not cause of openmindness, because this scene likes to dance on song that they actually like and feel, at raves parties, people dance to about anything that goes on (heavely influenced by drugs), as long at it as a beat do let go to, I have experienced both, not saying that all ravers are druggies but a lot more substance abuse is seen in a rave and the general ambience is more of a big party that everybody goes wild on the music and the substance abuse. In general, the poeple at a rave dont even know the songs or the Big DJ that came from far away, is only serves as a buzz to create this big event and that theres going to be a lot of people so they assume it's going to be a big party.

As for travelling, the same thing goes on in this scene were people travel a lot for events, Synthpop goes the world and Convergence here in Canada attracted poeple from all over. But the scene is quite smaller and more underground, so you cant pull off these kind of event as often, and the result will be smaller, wich means, less lucrative and more risky to attemp, as for raves, it as reach the mainstream crowd and nowadays, everybody as experienced it and attend to these events, they are very close to a typical dance clud scene with a little edge and more drugs, well not more, just a different one, even the cute little stuck up secretary at my job attend rave parties, makes her feel wild.

Agree? Yes No

I agree with both recent posts. Recently Ive been going to some more eclectic clubs, like 80's/new wave clubs and other stuff.

Yeah the scene in North America is pretty damn tiny(compared to Europe) and the only time people come out of the woodwork to form a sizable crowd is for VNV or Depeche Mode.
    So thats why its way too risky to put on those big ol kick ass EBM synthpop outdoor fests like they have every summer in europe.

The crowds at the clubs. Well, just as the scene was back in 1994 when I first got into it, its filled with too many pretentious snobby goths who just show up to look pretty and smoke.

Its weird going to see VNV, Apop, Covenant, funker, etc and theres all these goth people just standing there and showing up to be seen. So lame...at least at raves everybody is moving. So to that end hats off. But the clubs...well while my main fortay is the 0ntz 00ntz 00ntz, I like hearing some electroclash, 80's, goff, middle eastern new age whatever, etc.

Raves tho...I gurantee ya tho a lot of people just show up for whatever, not knowing what a band is...and how can ya blame em? Its a wayyy different scene, as its about an experience and djs and mixing songs together...where as goth industrial clubs are about waiting with yer drink til ya hear a song ya like then stepping back to schmooze.
    www.pockybot.com

Thread Information