Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: how do YOU listen to a new music?

Agree? Yes No

Default how do YOU listen to a new music?

When I was a teenager, I used to have this ritual whenever I got a new record or tape. I'd lay down on the floor in front of the stereo, plug in with a nice set of headphones, and just lose myself to the music, straight through from the first track to the last. And I'd listen to it over and over, even if it sucked, just to be sure it actually sucked or if it would grow on me. Sometimes, I'd just examine the cover art, seeing if it fits the music (which probably explains why I'm a graphic designer, years later) or (over)analyze the lyrics. But for the most part, I'd just space out, really giving my full attention to the music.

Now that I'm older and busier, I don't seem to do that as much. But once in a while, I just HAVE to listen to a new album undisturbed, even if it's just for a little bit. My husband is amused by my "shhhh, not right now, honey, I'm gonna listen to this for a little bit, okay?"

Anybody got a weird new music listening ritual they'd like to share?

Agree? Yes No

It used to be:

Rip the celephane from the vinyl (I'm old), put the record on the turntable, read all credits and "thanks to" listed in the credits and just enjoy the music.

Now, it's:

Open the disc, pop it in my portable disc player and do whatever work is needed to be done...

Agree? Yes No

I had an odd (and unhealthy) ritual. Back when I was deejaying, I would buy new music and blank cassettes every Thursday when I got paid. I'd spend nearly half of my paycheck on music. Then, I would head to the store, pick up some Zima, get drunk, and make mixed cassette tapes for all of my friends.
    And, Paxyll -- How do you find time to listen to the music when it takes four friggin' hours to get the disc out of it's case? :goofball:
    Jamie

Agree? Yes No

And, Paxyll -- How do you find time to listen to the music when it takes four friggin' hours to get the disc out of it's case?
    I leave those chores to my minions...

Agree? Yes No

Minions…

hmmm…

I like that idea.

"HUSBAND! COME HERE! GET THIS CD OUT OF THE JEWEL CASE FOR ME! NOW!"

Agree? Yes No

Since i spend so much of my time working, when I get a new cd I usually just pop it in to the computer while I work.

thrilling... isn't it?

Agree? Yes No

I do kind of the same thing, although I don't wear headphones, I just move the speakers about a foot away on each side, lay on my back and just take it all in.

Agree? Yes No

Well for me, I probably purchase 5-6 (more or less) cds a week. I do not have a cd player in my Jeep (must be remedied) and I am unable to listen to them at work. Thus when I get home from work I usually put the cd into the player and fast forward each track in about 30 seconds and listen to it for about 30 seconds. If the song does not grab me immediately I am on to the next one. Usually when I am cleaning up the apartment on the weekend I listen to the discs in their entirety. Not an ideal way to listen to them, I know...
    \"Man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle against the urge to punch ‘em in the face, and for what?! For some pimply little puke to treat you like dirt. Well I’m better than dirt ... well most kinds of dirt. I mean, not that fancy, store-bought dirt. That stuff’s loaded with nutrients. I can’t compete with that.\"

Agree? Yes No

I'll have a first listen in the car after I buy it (or when I get home if I went walking to the store). I'll have a first fast listen to the first minute or so of each track. After that, one or two songs will get my attention and I'll listen to them 2 or 3 times in a row with the rest of the CD following while I do some other tasks. If I end up dancing while doing those other tasks, it's a good sign.

It used to be different when I was younger. I would religiously listen to it from beguining to end and would tape it right away to listen in my walkman. I bought less of them but enjoyed them more. Hmm... maybe I should think about this... :|

Agree? Yes No

Unfortunately I only ever really get to listen to music at work... So, it's here, at my desk with my headphones, trying to drown out the chatter of my co-workers, concentrate on work and the music at the same time.

I haven't bought anything new in a long time...
    Morally, there is no difference between a man who robs you on the street because you have what he needs or wants, and a government that accomplishes the same thing.

Glenn Woiceshyn, Capitalism Magazine www.capmag.com

Agree? Yes No

I listen to new cds in their entirety in my discman on my way to and from work on the subway. At home, I like to load all my new music onto my computer and put it on random while doing stuff around the house and whenever something really peaks my interest, check out what it was. Usually if something really grabbed me, that's the cd that goes in the discman the next day.
    Just to keep you from danger, I am the law.
    WXJL Tonight Radio - electronix: cross-genre, cross-generation.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Efreak
    And, Paxyll -- How do you find time to listen to the music when it takes four friggin' hours to get the disc out of it's case? :goofball:
    Jamie
    LOL Jamie, you can buy one of those wrapper cutting gizmos at a music store for a couple bucks or so. My dad gave me one that he got for free at work and it saves me a lot of frustration.

I save all my new CDs for when I get home at night, then I play them one after another in their entirety. Yes, I'm boring.
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

Pull the plastic off the CD with my teeth or hands (whichever is more convenient at the time) and pop it in my portable cd player if I have it and listen to it on the bus on the way home. If I don't have it I get home and pop the cd in my computer and listen to it while online.
    M3L1B174

Agree? Yes No

I usually lie in bed with a discman and listen to the entire CD while I look over the CD insert and read the lyrics. I find that I can appreciate the CD more in later listens if I do this. My second and third listens are usually in the car on my way to and from work. If by the third listen I don't care for the CD, It ends up on my CD holder gathering dust.

Clone,
    I don't have a CD player in my car either but I use a discman with one of those cassette attachments. It sounds great.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by NJOberheim

Clone,
    I don't have a CD player in my car either but I use a discman with one of those cassette attachments. It sounds great.
    I do just the same!!! The only crap is that my discman is not really prepared to handle some rough roads... but if I think of it it's excelent for the investment I made in my "car stereo"

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Paradoxxx

I do just the same!!! The only crap is that my discman is not really prepared to handle some rough roads... but if I think of it it's excelent for the investment I made in my "car stereo"
    Pedro,

Either you drive though some REALLY rough terrain or your discman is more than 5 years old. Mine has skip protection technology. I thought they all come with that nowadays. Hey, it's not too early to start throwing some xmas hints around.

Thread Information