Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brainstorm - No more songs about love

Agree? Yes No

Lightbulb Brainstorm - No more songs about love

We're sitting down to work on the first Brave New World CD in a few years and I got to thinking: "Why is every song about love?"

90% of our old songs fall into one of these headers:
    - I want you.
    - Lets hook up.
    - I love you.
    - You cheating ho.
    - You left me.
    - Hey, wanna hook up again?

Sure loves is a powerful emotion and all - but throw me an idea for something new. What topic would you like to see a song written about?

Agree? Yes No

How about hate? Revenge? Racism? Homelessness? Poverty?

Jeff

Agree? Yes No

How about the plight of the migrant farmworker?

Agree? Yes No

i think its time for songs that play on the self improvement movement of the last 15\20 years.

self improvement
    you can have it all
    i was loser just like you
    the ballad of tom vu.
    tread on others to get what you want,
    these are hit songs waiting to happen.

Agree? Yes No

How about a song about a racist migrant farmworker hellbent on seeking revenge against the author of a self improvement book entitled "overcoming your homelessness in seven easy steps."

I smell double platinum!

Agree? Yes No

You cheating ethnicly different ho, you left me! i'm going to burn down your farm and leave you homeless so I can hunt you down and do you again to get back at you for pissing me off.
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

"she kept picking at me while I was picking her fruit,
    she tried to move into my house 'til I gave her the boot"

Agree? Yes No

NOW YOU'RE TALKIN'!!!!!!

then you need the "Agriculture Mix" of it....

Agree? Yes No

My cat is always trying to jump on my lap while I'm at the computer. You can write a song about that, but make sure to thank me in the liner notes.
    \"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.\"
    - Homer Simpson

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by BNW Charlie
    How about a song about a racist migrant farmworker hellbent on seeking revenge against the author of a self improvement book entitled "overcoming your homelessness in seven easy steps."

I smell double platinum!

Let me be the first to submit lyrics for this:

I heard him say the "N-word" the other day
    While he was shucking corn, and bailing hay....

BNW.... I think this song is a bad idea.
    Jamie

Agree? Yes No

how about being "too sexy for your shirt" .... oh wait, that's been done.

Actually this is why I've come to like The Mystic Underground so much. Vlad's writing is very thought provoking and yet isn't always about a woman breaking your heart. Take a read of the lyrics on their website sometime and you'll see the topics are actually quite interesting.

as for song topics: (eh I really haven't a clue, but how about)

(1) material obssession

(2) the discrimination all around us
    (not just ethnic, but down to how much money you make, the clothes you wear, the car you drive, u-hum the size of your computer monitor- discrimination is all around us bigger and badder than ever)

(3) the judgements we thoughtlessly make everyday
    it\'s a pleasure to be here
    and an honour to meet you ...

Agree? Yes No

There are tons of things to write about. Write about how mindless and stupid Americans are these days. That's something I can't seem to shut up about in my new project (which is all angsty electro stuff).

-Mark
    www.djintrovert.com

Agree? Yes No

Jag - here's some monitor envy for you: http://www.apple.com/displays/acd23/

I want one.

I've never done the angst thing all that well.

A blue sky day, a perfect CD, chocolate peanut butter ice cream, my wife's smile, my cat typing on my keyboard when I'm not looking, rainy days with a good flick, bacon wrapped shrimp, Dido's new tune...

Life is too good to spend that much time pissed off.

Agree? Yes No

LOL, I love the idea of the immigrant farmworkers' song!
    Write some song about using the internet too much. Or maybe about how the human race will die out from a huge plague.
    M3L1B174

Agree? Yes No

What ever happened to the obscure poetry of the 80s? I would love to see people writing songs that just paints images rather then spell out how much some girl hurt some overly sensative guy.

I love the veiled references that Simon LeBon makes in Duran Duran songs: "Hold back the Rain" (you're taking life too fast, taking too many drugs, watch out or you'll die young) "Save a prayer" (the one night stand song) and "The Reflex" (masturbation)

My two most recent favorite topics for songs have been from Brand New Idol: the tounge in cheek sarcastic view of the predictibilty of the music industry and convincing someone to sleep with you just as the bomb drops and the world is destroyed in a nuclear war LOL

OK now THAT's creative.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by ElectroSwank
    What ever happened to the obscure poetry of the 80s? I would love to see people writing songs that just paints images rather then spell out how much some girl hurt some overly sensative guy.

I love the veiled references that Simon LeBon makes in Duran Duran songs: "Hold back the Rain" (you're taking life too fast, taking too many drugs, watch out or you'll die young) "Save a prayer" (the one night stand song) and "The Reflex" (masturbation)

My two most recent favorite topics for songs have been from Brand New Idol: the tounge in cheek sarcastic view of the predictibilty of the music industry and convincing someone to sleep with you just as the bomb drops and the world is destroyed in a nuclear war LOL

OK now THAT's creative.
    Lyrics for more than 80% of all pop music ever made just simply don't make the bottom the barrel criteria for good songwriting to me. That leaves a solid 20% thank god

What I hate:

Misuse of imagery. "Sprinkling" similes in a song just so there's texture.

Over abstraction. Recent example: While I like the "mood" of Faith Assembly's music I think their lyrics are far too esoteric and have no meat on their bones. They build these beautiful soundscapes and sing imageless abstraction to them. That's lost on me. >>My experience, my opinion<<

Fear of humour/quirkiness. Reason why I actually LOVE bands like Barenaked Ladies, to cite a pop-pop-pop band from hell. They aren't afraid to be totally obscure and unsexy and just flat-out goofy. There's nothing wrong with writing a song about Postcards from Chimpanze's and not have it be one huge metaphor. Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense": Genius.

So take the opposite of what I hate and that's what I like

Bottom line what I like the most is an honest voice. So much of the crap I discard as lousy songwriting is because the songwriter is trying to be something they aren't.

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

Charlie I could care less what you guys writie about...I've worn hole sin my Primal, Understand, and Groove Thing cd's!!! I'm just so freaking happy theres new material coming our way you have no idea how good iut is for me to see you guys posting this stuff!!!

Heres To The New BNW!!!

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by BNW Charlie
    Jag - here's some monitor envy for you: http://www.apple.com/displays/acd23/

I want one.

yeh the kids were pickin on me because of my 800x600 monitor in another thread... sicne i got a nice little bonus last week, i went out friday night and bought me a new computer monitor.

http://www.geocities.com/jagmusic/60pw9363_l_us.jpg

that and a DVI card will have me rockin and rollin with the big dogs - lmfao. I really got the TV but to surf on something that gigantic is ridiculous (tho it can be done) Don't pick on me or I'll hook it up!

*thanks for the correction*
    it\'s a pleasure to be here
    and an honour to meet you ...

Agree? Yes No

LOL Jag you didn't have to get a new monitor! I use a 800x600 setting and it is fine for me. Your new one looks great though.
    M3L1B174

Agree? Yes No

De/Vision and Joy Electric are getting a fair bit of mileage writing songs about synths and machines... maybe you could try something like that?
    Nearly 700 of my reviews of various synthpop-related releases hosted by:
    www.synthpop.net

Thread Information