Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got The Postal Service's "Give Up"...

Agree? Yes No

Default Just got The Postal Service's "Give Up"...

... And I love it!! I think the programming is great on this album and Ben Gibbard has a great voice!

Thanks goes to Andrew for praising this album I had never heard of Postal Service until someone posted the "Synthpop on MTV" (or something like that...) post here. There I saw Andrew saying good things about the band. "Well", I thought, "Maybe I'll download a few songs with SoulSeek to see if it's any good..." and immediately I fell in love with it Took me some time to actually buy the album, but now I have it. And I'm definately glad I do. Maybe I should buy some Death Cab for Cutie album next...

So, what do you guys think of this album?

Agree? Yes No

strange I just picked it up today too.

About 79% wonderful, (a couple of tracks seem slight and/or boring) but most of it is really, really good. The first couple of tracks are as good as synthpop gets (or pop in general I should say).

-Dave

Agree? Yes No

It's an OK album. I just find it frustrating that *THIS* is the album the media seems to be hailing as the NEW SYNTHPOP EXPLOSION, when essentially it's emo-slacker rock artists with a synthpop side project (Death Cab For Cutie)...

Agree? Yes No

I like it, although it hasn't stood up to repeated listenings as well as I'd hoped. A few tracks are great regardless, but some, like "Recycled Air" get old after maybe the sixth listen.

However, Jimmy Tamborello's other project, DNtel, is much mroe experimental than Postal Service and in my mind is more interesting to listen to.
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

I *love* the Postal Service! I got Give Up a few months ago and I still listen to it alot..... Don't forget to check out the singles for "DC Sleeps Tonight" and "Such Great Heights." And of coarse get some Death Cab For Cutie.... AND... don't forget to check out Figurine. One of the guys in the Postal Service is from Figurine so if you like the PS, you'll definitely like Figurine!

I agree with paxyll, though. *Sometimes* it upsets me when bands like the Postal Service, Soviet, even the Sounds, get so much "mainstream" attention for being the "new synthpop." But on the other hand, the Postal Service are very good at what they do and deserve the attention....

Besides, one can only hope that their "success" will help more people discover other synthpop artists.....

Krystal

Agree? Yes No

I'm with Null, I like DNTEL better. But I do love the Postal Service. Fantastic stuff.

If you're interested in checking out DCFC, I'd suggest picking up We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes or The Photo Album.

-Mark
    www.djintrovert.com

Agree? Yes No

well, look - death cab for cutie was a pretty big indie rock band beforehand, and Dntel was really well known in the IDM scene for the "life is full of possibilities" album. death cab had been featured in magazines like rolling stone, spin, etc, just based off of the success of their last disc (photo album). so when they decided to combine forces, it set people all a-twitter and it was a recipe for lots of hype. you also have to realize that this came out on Sub Pop and was heavily promoted, and hit #1 on the CMJ charts for a long time

that being said, i think ben gibbard is a damn genius, and people should put the slight amount of jealousy aside and try to appreciate the record on its merits :>

cheers,
    andrew
    http://www.irismusic.com
    http://www.alphaconspiracy.com

Agree? Yes No

Agreed. Well put. Though I have to admit, I think he really shines through in some of his side projects. Especially the HOME cd. I can't quit listening to that.

-Mark
    www.djintrovert.com

Agree? Yes No

i think it is a great album although it does lose steam about two thirds through. it does contain some great pop songs,most notably the 2 singles that were released, and is more professional sounding than most synthpop released now.saying that, can this album be classed as synthpop?
    Visit the Pet Shop Boys Information News Service at:

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/jonsutton185/myhomepage/pop.html

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by andrew [iris]
    [b]
    that being said, i think ben gibbard is a damn genius, and people should put the slight amount of jealousy aside and try to appreciate the record on its merits :>
    bravo! it's a great synthpop album regardless of who farted it out. some of the elitist attitudes doesn't help your very own scene. just enjoy the music.

the indie approach to synthpop is a refreshing break from the tired DM clone recipe. not to mention I rarely hear an indie band with an out-of-tune singer! LOL!

[r.]
    www.souvenirrecords.com

Agree? Yes No

I dig this album. It didn't hit me at the first time, but it grows on you.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by voodooru

the indie approach to synthpop is a refreshing break from the tired DM clone recipe. not to mention I rarely hear an indie band with an out-of-tune singer! LOL!
    [r.]
    Preach it, brother.

"Give Up" is kinda like electroclash without the pretense - it's got the sort of low-fi retro thing going on but doesn't have the manufactured ironic cool that bugs me so much about bands like Client. It's got the earnest, witty indie-pop lyrics about ex-girlfriends ("Nothing Better" is a perfect example of this) instead of bored euro-lyrics about sex.

Yeah, it's a little overhyped becasue of its indie-cred, but it still is a good album, and it's farily original.

A precursor to the album is DNTEL's "This is the Dream of Evan and Chan" which is also Jimmy T and Ben Gibbard. It's a bit more "out there" than Postal Service, but it's still a tasty track.

I'd also recommend the works, hard-to-find though they are, of Gerhard Potuznick/G.D.Luxxe - it's similar in flavor, a sort of low-fi, new-wave indie-pop, glitchy take on synthpop. He's probably best-known for producing Chicks on Speed, but his solo stuff is pretty cool.
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

Hmm, I picked this up just the other day. Found rather boring, actually.

I'll try it again in a few months.

>>the indie approach to synthpop is a refreshing break from the tired DM clone recipe

I'm compelled to agree with you.
    \"The things you own end up owning you.\"

Agree? Yes No

that was my original post..hehe...i love the cd, but i do agree that i am not quite as into it as when it first came out..it's a great record, and it has a lot of heart and emotion to it...nice to see a little more depth involved...but i loved death cab (i am from seattle after all)
    ...the revolution will be synthesized...

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by rustcwc
    that was my original post..hehe...i love the cd, but i do agree that i am not quite as into it as when it first came out..it's a great record, and it has a lot of heart and emotion to it...nice to see a little more depth involved...but i loved death cab (i am from seattle after all)
    Rust at last your back mate a long time over due!!
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

well thank you kirlian..i have missed you all as i have been rather absent lately...a lot going on in my life...i was just thinking before i saw your post here that i missed talking to you...i can no longer listen to mr. numan without thinking of you terrorizing the streets of london...lol...
    ...the revolution will be synthesized...

Agree? Yes No

it's more pet shop boys than depeche mode, which you don't find very often.
    Visit the Pet Shop Boys Information News Service at:

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/jonsutton185/myhomepage/pop.html

Agree? Yes No

The Death of Clone Mode Stars.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Strasser

>>the indie approach to synthpop is a refreshing break from the tired DM clone recipe
    No one has yet cloned Depeche Mode. Even if one got close, they would be cloning a diamond so rare, that even the clone itself would prove rarer than all the ever changing backdrop of bands that, at some point or another, enjoy current acclaim..

Agree? Yes No

Good point, Reagan.
    \"The things you own end up owning you.\"

Thread Information