Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death. Does it scare you?

Agree? Yes No

Default Death. Does it scare you?

Iíve had so many loved oneís die, I expected to get a tight grip on death by now. But instead, my fear has increased. I mean, itís the finality that does it. You die and thatís it, kid, youíre gone forever...and ever. No more music, no more love, no more nothing. Do you think about death? Really think about it? Where do we go? Do our personalities dissolve? What comforts you about death? The thought of an afterlife? It just seems so f/ucking unfair.
    \"The things you own end up owning you.\"

Agree? Yes No

(seriously risking looking like a loon here :loco: but I don't care, so here goes...)

Like yourself, I've also had several family members die in my lifetime, as well as a few acquaintances and my best friend of 11 years. But I seriously believe in an afterlife and have had numerous experiences with people who have passed on. For instance, when my best friend died unexpectedly in a car accident, I had to drive on the same highway that he'd died on just days before to attend his memorial service. I had been told approximately where the accident had occurred, but not the exact location and was also informed that there were no skid marks. When I reached a point about 20 miles before the town they said it had occurred outside of, I started getting the shakes and felt cold and funny, even though it was the middle of July and nearly 100 degrees outside. Even had to turn the heater on in the car...Then just before I reached said town, I swear my hair stood on end...and I could hear my friend's voice telling me that he was OK and not to grieve for him too long. After that, the cold and shakes suddenly disappeared and nothing else happened on the remainder of the drive, nor on the return trip home. I could describe a few other instances in my life, but you get the idea.

I've also read a few books concerning the afterlife and the interesting thing I've discovered is that no matter what terms or theory the authors are using, they are all describing similar experiences! So I'd say, don't despair, death is just a beginning for another step of the journey we are all on. I also believe in reincarnation, but that's *another* story...
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

It's hard for me to fear death, because it's part of life ultimately . I have two beautiful children and to me, that's how I live on, through them. If I think about death, how can I possibly live? Just my humble opinion....

Agree? Yes No

>>If I think about death, how can I possibly live?

Understood. Ultimately, it's not healthy to dwell on it. I suppose I've seen too much of it. Confucius wrote (and, man, I'm really paraphrasing here) "We can hardly understand life, how are we to understand death?"

>>they are all describing similar experiences!

I've read about those, I believe. Tunnels of light and such? Certianly makes me wonder!

Agree? Yes No

Honestly, I am VERY afraid of dying. So much so that I have panic attacks sometimes. For instance, if I am driving somewhere by myself and I am out in the middle of nowhere, I'll get this overwhelming feeling of doom like..."what if I were to have an asthma attack and couldn't get any medical help because I am so far from everything?" I know that sounds nuts, but that is how I used to feel. I have been less anxious about death since having my son because I know that I need to remain calm in order to always protect him. And his life is more precious than mine, so my anxiety about death has lessened. But before he was born I used to freak out about it all the time. I would occasionally fear that I had a serious disease or that I would die on a plane ride to see my family or whatever. That fear of death seriously plagued me for seven years of my adult life. Good thing it went away too because it was almost debilitating. I think that my son and my husband have given me new reasons to enjoy and love my life, so now I don't have as much time to fixate on death. And while I don't think anyone looks forward to dying, I am beginning to think that there might be something beyond this life, and that truly does make death seem less frightening.
    \"People say, You must have been the class clown. And I say, No, I wasn\'t. But I sat next to the class clown, and I studied him.\"

Agree? Yes No

I only am afraid of death if it shows up at my door. Then I hide under the table!
    We\'re no longer as thick as thieves

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

I used to OBSESS about it. Why? "The Day After". Remember the television movie about the nuclear holocaust? It scared the living hell out of me, and I was, like, eleven!

I'm not afraid of it anymore. If it comes, I won't even know it. Working in health care has numbed me to it somewhat, as I have held the hand of quite a few, as they passed from this incarnation to another. As morbid as it sounds, it was my great honor to have had that privilege.

And finally, a terrific line from (yes!) "Casper"....

Kat: (to Casper) "What does it feel like to die?"
    Casper: "It's like being born, only -- backwards."

Brilliant, IMHO.

Jamie

Originally posted by menstrualla
    Honestly, I am VERY afraid of dying. So much so that I have panic attacks sometimes. For instance, if I am driving somewhere by myself and I am out in the middle of nowhere, I'll get this overwhelming feeling of doom like..."what if I were to have an asthma attack and couldn't get any medical help because I am so far from everything?"
    Actually, darling -- The feeling of impending doom is the first stage OF a panic attack. I wish nobody ever had to experience these. Ever.
    Jamie

Agree? Yes No

I think i have a neutral stance with death.. I don't fear it, but i don't welcome it.. I think about it sometimes though, what it would be like, if it would be an eternal hell of silence, if you were still aware of the things that go on around you even after you die, where do you go, if anywhere, and etc...No body knows what it is like to die but those dead, and of course they're not saying much... Though, i have a small theory of what it might be like... I think at first it may seem like hell, all the thoughts going through your head, realizing that you are indeed dying, but gradually you being to lull, like you were going to sleep, but you would feel a pulling sensation inside, an unknown pulling sensation, like the feeling you get if you accidently get cut, and is loosing a fair amount of blood, or like that when you are about to throw up (But not in the throat..).. And then, after it goes away, everything is peaceful again... Now after that point its only guessing... You could relive your life through memories, go to another plane, perhaps even another dimension before you are reborn or even something greater.. But that is only my little theory....And like i said before, no one alive knows what it is really like..
    When a artist paints, they dip their brush in their soul, and with that they can paint life with all its vivid colors and aspects.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Strasser
    >>they are all describing similar experiences!

I've read about those, I believe. Tunnels of light and such? Certianly makes me wonder!
    Not just that, but what happens afterwards...check out the New Age section in any big chain bookstore if you're curious...
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: Death. Does it scare you?

Originally posted by Strasser
    Iíve had so many loved oneís die, I expected to get a tight grip on death by now. But instead, my fear has increased. I mean, itís the finality that does it. You die and thatís it, kid, youíre gone forever...and ever. No more music, no more love, no more nothing. Do you think about death? Really think about it? Where do we go? Do our personalities dissolve? What comforts you about death? The thought of an afterlife? It just seems so f/ucking unfair.
    ah i know what you mean a morbid fear of death.
    yes i even believe in a afterlife of somekind.
    theres no point in looking negativily at this as no one alive right now can tell you what being dead forever is going to be like.
    yes we all know that most of our religions faiths talk of afterlife,
    even if theres only a shred of truth youve probably got nothing to worry about.
    it sill has a icy cold feeling to think of this for me,
    i hate the thought depending on you philosophy you might want to speak to your doctor,he or she may reccomend consuling depending on how severe your fear is.
    i really dont believe this is it though,im not going to go into my religious beliefs thats pretty personal anyways.
    death is a doorway to the unknown any one who dosent fear it slightly is loopy.
    faith is the belief in something that may or may not be true.
    if you believe in absolutes by definition youve lost the true meaning of faith.
    so try not to fixiate on the possibilty of eternal nothingness ponder the posibilities instead.
    i have lived with this fear since i was six i fear it still but have also developed a huge degree of faith in the belief that death isnt the end of all.

Agree? Yes No

death is the cure for life.

i'm at peace with the fact that I am going to die. what happens after death... *shrug* I'll just be a good person and wait and see what happens.

what keeps me awake at night is dying before I've gotten my life together..

dying now... leaving my wife alone to raise our daughters..

i can't think about that without breaking out in hives... here's the truth... whether i live or die is irrelavent... i am getting it organized but one thing i before the kids came that i missed on the 'ol checklist was putting together the "whatifs"... my death will be more peaceful when I know if I die I've made sure that my responsibilities are properly tended to..

-dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by menstrualla
    Honestly, I am VERY afraid of dying. So much so that I have panic attacks sometimes. For instance, if I am driving somewhere by myself and I am out in the middle of nowhere, I'll get this overwhelming feeling of doom like..."what if I were to have an asthma attack and couldn't get any medical help because I am so far from everything?" I know that sounds nuts, but that is how I used to feel. I have been less anxious about death since having my son because I know that I need to remain calm in order to always protect him. And his life is more precious than mine, so my anxiety about death has lessened. But before he was born I used to freak out about it all the time. I would occasionally fear that I had a serious disease or that I would die on a plane ride to see my family or whatever. That fear of death seriously plagued me for seven years of my adult life. Good thing it went away too because it was almost debilitating. I think that my son and my husband have given me new reasons to enjoy and love my life, so now I don't have as much time to fixate on death. And while I don't think anyone looks forward to dying, I am beginning to think that there might be something beyond this life, and that truly does make death seem less frightening.
    i understand what you are going through with your panic attacks.
    back in the eighties i used to have them so bad it destroyed my management career and nearly my lfe.
    the symptoms you decribe are exactly what i went through.
    people were a lot less understanding back then and i even had employers blackist me for promotions and stuff due to fact i told them i suffered from panic attack syndrome.
    there is a lot more help available today
    my doctor back then figured mine had been caused by extreme post traumatic stress syndrome .
    anyways regardless of the cause i got over it as soon as i realised it was a affliction that many people suffer from.
    havent had one for over 11 years now.

Originally posted by cliffwalk
    death is the cure for life.

i'm at peace with the fact that I am going to die. what happens after death... *shrug* I'll just be a good person and wait and see what happens.

what keeps me awake at night is dying before I've gotten my life together..

dying now... leaving my wife alone to raise our daughters..

i can't think about that without breaking out in hives... here's the truth... whether i live or die is irrelavent... i am getting it organized but one thing i before the kids came that i missed on the 'ol checklist was putting together the "whatifs"... my death will be more peaceful when I know if I die I've made sure that my responsibilities are properly tended to..

-dave
    it would be a better place if more people thought like this

Agree? Yes No

hummm death, i dunno i guess i kinda wanna kow whats out thurr..... (lol)
    BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET, THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Agree? Yes No

>>what keeps me awake at night is dying before I've gotten my life together..

Yes. I totally understand where you're coming from. There is so much I need to get done. All I ask for is the time to do it.

My fear isn't pathological, thoughts of the Big Sleep began eating away at me after a friend fell into a diabetic coma and never woke up. That was only a few weeks ago. Now, every once in awhile I feel the sands in the hour glass slipping away, so to speak.

Either way, I have to believe in an afterlife. I need to.

Agree? Yes No

yes, but isn't really death that scare me, but what we will lost forever when we die.

you said right... music, love, fun, friends, movies, etc... that's really sux!

I lost my mother in the last years, and she was my last close family that I had. Both my parents died so young, losing many things, and I lose many things too... I always think how could be different if they were here.

but life goes on, and I want to spend my time living better and better each day....

is a very strange feeling, we always hope to live forever!

Freddy

test

Agree? Yes No

Unhappy death

Life can be beautiful, there are times we all must admit, we falter a bit and then wonder why.........we're living to die...

Agree? Yes No

For me, it's not so much death or becoming worm fodder that I fear, it's age. The thought of slowly losing grasp on reality through the affects of age. I used to never dwell on it until I witnessed two family members go through Alzheimer's before dying. As for what comes next? Being a devout Agnostic, I really can't say and don't want to know. I'll find out when I find out I guess.

Agree? Yes No

All i know is there's a place in Hell for me and my friends (thanks, Morrissey)..well, more like a resort i'm feeling--jacuzzis, open bar, maybe a little volleyball...

I don't fear death, not for me. I fear more losing the people i love, but it's a natural occurance, so what can you do? We're all allotted time here, and it's up to us what we do with it. Absolutely, people taken suddenly is shocking and leaves us wondering why, but how i see it is the ol' cliche everything happens for a reason--good and bad. We might never understand those reasons, but why spend your time dwelling on it? Live your life the best you can for you and those you love.

Agree? Yes No

I agree with Seraphim. The thought of becoming useless and a burden to others is more scary then dying.

Also, the thought of something happening to my partner is more scary to me than dying myself.

Agree? Yes No

Thoughts of death don't bother me anymore. I am going to die, most things that I do are not going to matter to anyone but myself and that is that. I went through, what I can only assume, was a mid life crisis in my late teens. Probably because I never thought that I would make it past my early twenties.

My only concern is leaving my girlfriend and kittens to fend for themselves in this world. My last will and testament was written completely for them.

As for the after-life, it would take far to long to go into here, but generaly the energy that we consist of transmigrates to eventually take another form or multipule forms of matter. However, I can not say if consciousness (in the way that we think of it as being a possible byproduct of the workings of a brain) is transferable. We are all a form of energy (e=mc2), but how much of that is left behind or changed during transmigration is something we may never know because if it is lost then we would not remember having it.
    Rabbit season! Blamo!

one is the only real number

This anouncement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    \"Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 28 years\"

Thread Information