Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some artwork advice please :)

Agree? Yes No

Default Need some artwork advice please :)

I wanted the advice of the excellent artists we have here, like Anna, Dan, CQ, etc... I'm working on getting the single out, and I'm torn between designs, which do you like? Does it go with the music style? My first choice was idea3.jpg, but now I'm leaning towards idea1.jpg. Help!

http://www.ivox.org/cover-idea1.jpg
    http://www.ivox.org/cover-idea2.jpg
    http://www.ivox.org/cover-idea3.jpg

Many thanks in advance!

Jeff

Agree? Yes No

They are all pretty good, but I would go with the first image. The colouring depends on the song though. Are you going for a more calm (purple) or agressive (red) feeling to be taken from the song?
    Rabbit season! Blamo!

one is the only real number

This anouncement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    \"Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 28 years\"

Agree? Yes No

Hi Jonna,

Excellent point. The song is about deep seeded love going sour (very original, I know, lol) , so you think red would work the best? Thanks for the help!

Agree? Yes No

That would work as the image, at least to me, seems like a abstract heart being painfully twisted (the red helps with this idea). The sleak, cold metal look of the heart shows a defensive reflex that is ultimatly harming itself. But then again, I have an overactive imagination.
    Rabbit season! Blamo!

This anouncement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Jonna
    That would work as the image, at least to me, seems like a abstract heart being painfully twisted (the red helps with this idea). The sleak, cold metal look of the heart shows a defensive reflex that is ultimatly harming itself. But then again, I have an overactive imagination.
    You're a genius. I never looked at it as a heart, I always see just a wire (since I'm in networking, lol), but now that you mentioned it, I see it so clearly. Thanks for helping me look at it that way.

Agree? Yes No

No problem. Looking at it again, it could also be described as a heart unraveling.
    Rabbit season! Blamo!

Agree? Yes No

sort of Haujobish, (the 1st one)-1 or 3 would work well.

Agree? Yes No

Definitely 1.
    Brian.

11th Records Mastering
    www.11threcords.com

Color Theory
    www.colortheory.com

Agree? Yes No

Aye, i would go with 1 as well.. They're all very well done, but 1 fits it the most. Very nicely executed..
    When a artist paints, they dip their brush in their soul, and with that they can paint life with all its vivid colors and aspects.

Agree? Yes No

I like the first one the best out of the three as well. It pops more and is more dramatic. The only thing (and its one of my biggest pet peeves) is i am not to fond of the typeface.

Personally, I don't like the "roughness" and the emboss / gradient combo may make it harder to read when printed. I think a flatter, cleaner font, maybe in white or 10-15% grey (cold) and a slightly smaller point size would work a little better. Or, just showcasing the art with no type on it (i love when bands do this).

Again, these are just my opinions, and the way it is now is nice and if you like it, that should be all that matters. I'm in no way trying to tell you how you should present your work. I'm just making a suggestion

XO

Agree? Yes No

Thanks everyone, for the feedback, I'm very, for lack of a better word, "persnickety" when it comes to my artwork. I'm a very huge perfectionist, always wanting to improve on it, which ultimately leaves me unsure about it. Now, if only I did that with my music!

Anna, I love your suggestions. I rely on experts like you to help me, so it's always welcome, so please know that I have no problem with you letting me have an honest opinion. You could tell me you hate it, throw a tomato at me and I'd still welcome your feedback. I like the idea of leaving out type completely, because it seems like anything extra would just take away from the art itself.

Thanks again, everyone!

Jeff

Agree? Yes No

Hi Jeff...

I really like #3! I find version 3 to be compelling...there seems to be a backstory there, and the melancholy, quasi-monochromatic hue reinforces the theme. I like the breakup of space with the spots of black as well. I even like the old-school Porsche that the disgruntled female is standing in front of.

As for #1, I think it's a very cool image, but it seems more 'cold' to me, though the image definitely has 'pop'. Perhaps I am too used to looking at 3D imagery...was this generated by a 3D program such as Bryce or something?

The gradient on the font for #1 has a bit too much of a ramp, making it hard to read...I'd de-emphasize the gradient, perhaps make the text lighter and easier to read...maybe even thicken that stroke on the font to make the text pop a wee bit more.

#1 is cool tho, I'd save it for another song, perhaps something more futuristic?

Overall, the images are very well done! Good job.

Agree? Yes No

The first two verions are tight. only thing i would change is they type setting..,.. it doesnt play off each other well.

Agree? Yes No

#3. But I liked them all.
    Jamie

Agree? Yes No

I really like the colors in #2, but yes if the music has to do with the music then #1 would have to be it. #2 seems more serene and calm.
    M3L1B174

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by NukleoN
    Hi Jeff...

I really like #3! I find version 3 to be compelling...there seems to be a backstory there, and the melancholy, quasi-monochromatic hue reinforces the theme. I like the breakup of space with the spots of black as well. I even like the old-school Porsche that the disgruntled female is standing in front of.

As for #1, I think it's a very cool image, but it seems more 'cold' to me, though the image definitely has 'pop'. Perhaps I am too used to looking at 3D imagery...was this generated by a 3D program such as Bryce or something?

The gradient on the font for #1 has a bit too much of a ramp, making it hard to read...I'd de-emphasize the gradient, perhaps make the text lighter and easier to read...maybe even thicken that stroke on the font to make the text pop a wee bit more.

#1 is cool tho, I'd save it for another song, perhaps something more futuristic?

Overall, the images are very well done! Good job.
    LOL, yeah the photographer just told her to look pissed off, she did a pretty good job! I agree the text sucks as it is, the lighting effect turned out more like a gradient, and I'm not a big fan of gradients. I would probably use Anna's suggestion and just go with a plain white text with no fx if I were to chose that one, I still like #3 as well, just thought it was too "typical" of me, lol. As far as programs, I use Maya as my weapon of choice. My first exposure to it was on Irix, and I've liked it ever since. Thanks, Dan, for the great feedback!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help out, I appreciate it! I'm always here to return the favor!

Jeff

Agree? Yes No

Hey Jeff,

I'm sure you've gotten all the feedback you need from these great folks but here's my humble opinion. I love #3, I expressed that to you on another thread when I saw it on your website. However, #1 I think has more of a 'single' look to it. It def stuck out to me when I saw it as one of your avatars. The deep red in it looks great. I'd go with that one.

Good luck!

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by NJOberheim
    Hey Jeff,

I'm sure you've gotten all the feedback you need from these great folks but here's my humble opinion. I love #3, I expressed that to you on another thread when I saw it on your website. However, #1 I think has more of a 'single' look to it. It def stuck out to me when I saw it as one of your avatars. The deep red in it looks great. I'd go with that one.

Good luck!
    Thank you my friend, and hey, the more feedback, the better!

Jeff

Agree? Yes No

Jeff, my vote is for # 3. It give the back story to the song, and coincides with the lyrics. Although the first two are way kewl, I agree with Dan, maybe save them for something more "futuristic".
    \"...that\'s not music! I mean, it\'s ok if you only know three chords, but for God\'s sake, play them in the right order!....\" Hank Hill - King of the Hill

\"...Hi Guys, the band club is collecting bottles and cans for the homeless; ironically taking away the only job the homeless have....\" The Midget Tuba player - \"The New Guy\"

Agree? Yes No

Jeff,

I'd go with #1. It has more eye-catching power and looks more professional.

-Kevin

Thread Information