Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Empire State Human - European Demo review

Agree? Yes No

Thumbs up Empire State Human - European Demo review

Hello everybody,
    Here is my review for the new Empire State Human demo:

01>Hand On The Gun (ESH wire in the blood remix) - this track is a trademark of the band. The remix is totally new. It's quicker, new vocals plus a new third verse and the band also re-did the music, using nothing from the original version. It's all done on new gear at Electric Eye (own ESH studio). "We really pulled out all the stops for the new version of 'Hand On The Gun'" (c) Aidan Casserly/ESH. And it's true. One of the best remixes of the band, upbeat and very club-friendly.

02>Liquid Blue - Another product of new ESH studio. I have no words about this one. It's the best track of ESH up to now. "We Are Industry" (live version is online on www.empirestatehuman.com) and Liquid Blue bring the new album to the "must have" value. The sound and melody improvement is really big in comparing with "Alpha & Omega" or "Pop Robot". Very melodic upbeat track. Right decision for the single and for the demo. Sound clips from "Liquid Blue" can be found on www.cdbaby.com

03>Time/Travel - perfect B-Side instrumental. This one is also upbeat.

04>The Witch (cover version of a track by The Cult). - it's a rock song, easy to hear. Simple texts, simple melody. ESH stuff is more sofisticated. ESH is more interesting when they remix own tracks as when they make a remake.

Thanks,
    Nevenever

Agree? Yes No

Thanks for taking the time to review our European demo, we're glad you enjoyed it that much ;-)
    We will send out copies to any EU labels reading this thread who want copies, all you have to do is email ESH directly at casser@gofree.indigo.ie and we will organise copies to be sent out.

BTW - John Giacobello produced 'Liquid BLue' in New York, we did have input but we can't take credit for the production.
    Thanks for replying ...
    Aidan
    ESH
    www.empirestatehuman.com

Agree? Yes No

Hello Aidan,
    Is any official release date for "Urbanism" set? It should be released in November but when exactly? And how many copies of limited edition are made?

Nevernever.

Agree? Yes No

Hi!

We're not sure on an exact date or even month at present I'm afraid (Ninthwave have yet to set one) and it may work out that November won't see it released.
    The limited edition run of 'Urbanism' is going to be a lot bigger, we believe 1,000 copies this time, as opposed to 50 for the limited version of 'Pop Robot'. The 'Urbanism' limited edition includes an ESH live 10-track album called 'Live On Mars', which is basically a 'fun' album and not to be taken too seriously ;-)

Regards,
    Aidan
    Empire State Human
    www.empirestatehuman.com

Agree? Yes No

This European Demo arrived at my desk about a week ago. Just like any other records/demos that I often receive, it usually takes me at least about a week worth of listening before I finally could came up with a review.

This demo contains 3 vocal tracks and 1 instrumental.

The first track called “Hand On The Gun” was actually originated from ESH first silver-pressing entitled “Pop Robot” back in 2002. It’s a nice middle-tempo synthpop track with Aidan’s distinguished smooth vocal and cool lyrics too.

The second track “Liquid Blue” is definitely the highlight of the demo. I personally think that this track is an appropriate resemblance of what ESH is all about. Music-wise, vocal-wise, and production-wise, “Liquid Blue” is nothing but a perfection. You can just notice a more sophisticated synth-sound which incorporates different kind of sound-effects here. In addition, Aidan’s vocal has never sounded more evolve and alive than ever before (I always thought that Aidan’s vocal was being tuned up too low in prior production—for example: “Hand On The Gun”, so that his beautiful voice always got repressed against the music sound). Seems like they’ve found out what they’re missing and have successfully fixed it themselves. Bravo, guys!

The third track is the only instrumental track on the demo entitled “Time/Travel.”. Well, it actually contains a sequence of robotic female vocal as opposed to Aidan’s voice. I have to say this is my least favorite track on the demo although the track does showcase the versatility of ESH musically.

And finally, the last track was called “The Witch.” This track supposedly was a cover of The Cult. Alas, I have never heard the original version so I really don’t know how to compare those two. What I can say though, the track is by far the most aggressive sounding one on the demo. Once again, you can see the versatility of the band by going a bit rock-ish here.

Overall, watch out for ESH, guys. These Irish guys aren’t just producing your average electronic music. They have worked so hard like no ordinary synthpop band outhere. Currently actively pursuing a European label, I wish them nothing but the best. They definitely are going to stay for many brighter years to come. So keep an eye on them.

Cheers.
    \"The love in the world begins with the love within ourselves.\"

Agree? Yes No

Hi FxBoy!
    Thanks you for those wonderful comments on our demo! Be assured, it's people like you that make us want to develop and improve - YOU'RE THE TOPS!

Aidan
    ESH
    www.empirestatehuman.com

Agree? Yes No

Yep, ESH the most interesting act on the modern synthpop music scene. They are inventing the music.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by CUBALIST MUZIK
    Thanks for taking the time to review our European demo, we're glad you enjoyed it that much ;-)
    We will send out copies to any EU labels reading this thread who want copies
    oh mu firebird sweet jesus
    i should now start my EU label in hurry
    cuz pop robot was damn too hot!!!!

Agree? Yes No

Just to jump on the band wagon : everything that has come out of "electric eye" studios over the past little while is pretty damn hot, along with the Liquid blue single....

And more great stuff in the pipeline too. I think 2004 will be a spectacular year for ESH.
    a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

Thank you 'friends'! We intend putting in a massive effort into 2004, and in doing so, we hope it will pay off .........
    Nothing ever comes easy. Watch out for 'Urbanism' with Ninthwave Records and for up to date news on a second ESH album of new material called 'Cycles' (no label as of yet though for this new album).

Aidan
    ESH
    ww.empirestatehuman.com

Agree? Yes No

You're welcome, Aidan........ I am more thanhappy to be able to give my review there.

Also, I should thank you too for sending me the demo across the seven seas. :-)

BTW, I wasn't aware that "Cycles" is going to be your second album though. My recollection is that you've released at least 2 albums and 1 EP ("Pop Robot", "Music For Humans", and "Alpha & Omega')

Good luck on the coming up album. Success always for the year 2004 and forever. Cheers.

Agree? Yes No

Thanx again my friend ......

By saying 'Cycles' is to be our second album, I mean 2nd album to be released in 2004 (BIG DIFFERENCE!).

We've released the following album:

'Martian Anthems' (self released)
    'Pop Robot' (expanded Ninthwave version)
    'Music For Humans' (9 track EP for Pur Zynth Label)
    'Alpha & Omega' (with Ninthwave)
    'Liquid Blue' (8 track MCD with Ninthwave)

Coming in 2004 ....... (hopefully) ..... ;-)

'Urbanism'/'Live On Mars' (for Ninthwave)
    'Cycles' (another new studio album, label to be announced)
    'Music For Cars' (follow up EP to 2002's 'Music For Humans'. Label to be announced).

Hope that clears up things FxBoy???

Aidan
    ESH
    www.empirestatehuman.com

Agree? Yes No

By saying label to be announced, does that mean you're parting ways with Ninthwave?
    Nearly 700 of my reviews of various synthpop-related releases hosted by:
    www.synthpop.net

Agree? Yes No

No we're not parting ways with Ninthwave, they'll be releasing the double album 'Urbanism'/'Live On Mars' as planned!
    But we completed 'Urbanism' last May, and not being a band to set on our laurels, we've written another new album called 'Cycles', which we hope to place with someone else, so as not to put too much financial pressure on Dave Richards, who's got many brilliant albums from other artists to get out in 2004 as well (Eight To Infinity, Alain/Masq, Astromill, The Peoples etc etc).
    We think this is fair to everyone. We have had interested labels approach us, so with 3 tracks from 'Cycles' already completed and with a few more half produced, we're really at an artistic/creative high to complete 'Cycles'. 'Cycles' is going to move us into slightly different territiory, with a glam rock/electro/dance edge to it. If you want more info/details on it, then email me directly at casser@gofree.indigo.ie

Cheers!
    Aidan
    ESH
    www.empirestatehuman.com

Agree? Yes No

To Second Aidan's note: Ninthwave has always tried to be an artist friendly label, albeit in the contraints of not having any money :-)
    By artist friendly I mean that we do not chain down any of our artists to long term contracts nor do we take possesion of their work (believe it or not most major labels do this). I think other labels in this scene do this too, I am not saying we are special.

The result is that bands on Ninthwave are free to do what they want in many ways. ESH did an EP with Pur Zynth, Ganymede "left" to go form Cohaagen but we are all still friends and willing to work together. the vast world of synthpop is too small to do otherwise I think.

-Dave

Agree? Yes No

This is why, to Empire State Human, Ninthwave are one of the 'true pioneering synth labels' around today. Maybe they don't have the release schedule/financial clout of say ADD, but what they do have in abundance is the grace, respect and ability to offer 100% back-up all their bands to let them 'feel free', yet feel also totally supported too .....

These releases, mentioned above, are really only our 'aspirations' and hopes for 2004 and we're keeping our fingers (and eyes) crossed that they can come to fruition for us. But nothing's ever written in stone in the music business .....

Aidan
    ESH
    www.empirestatehuman.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by CUBALIST MUZIK

These releases, mentioned above, are really only our 'aspirations' and hopes for 2004 and we're keeping our fingers (and eyes) crossed that they can come to fruition for us. But nothing's ever written in stone in the music business .....

Aidan
    ESH
    www.empirestatehuman.com
    Amen to that, Aidan. Being one of ESH fans whom has been intrigued by ESH materials since the beginning, I can personally say that ESH music has progressed beyond simply just smooth synthpop (Erasure-ish) territory. I like the more agressive/harder edge approach to it......... Again, see "Liquid Blue" for a proof.

Now I'm really curious about these glam rock/electro/dance edge movement. Yay! Sounds good already to me.

Agree? Yes No

YEa, we want to be harder sounding, but it can be difficult to produce such a sound and it can take a lot of studio time. But, having said that, we do have that 'electro-pop' tradition,which we're very happy to be able to do, so it's not a totally turn about sound.

Regards,
    Aidan
    ESH

Thread Information