Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Color Theory presents Depeche Mode update

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Tim_BNI
    Wow, talk about the lemons to lemonade philosophy! When we had two of our songs make the rounds of Napster and bootlegs as DM we did everything we could to distance ourselves from the whole thing. Let's face it DM fans are really obsessive people and we got thousands of emails, you know the "How dare you.." kind, even though we had nothing to do with the songs being put up as DM. I remember emailing Brian about it when the bootlegs started coming out and he seemed to like the whole thing. I guess it's all a matter of what you believe is artistic integrity. I hate the comparisons personally, because I think they diminish my own personal artistic vision, but to each his own. With that said, we just recently did a DM cover for a British tribute album, so paint me with the hypocrite brush.
    I've heard the songs you guys are talking about... (CT's and BNIs) I guess I feel that it's probably decent publicity thing in the end and screw the DM purists that think you're evil for sounding like them a "little"

And when I say a little.. I mean... the lyrics on Ponytail Girl, for instance, don't read ANYTHING like ANYTHING Martin Gore would have penned. Same with BNI/Joy Machine. I mean for the most part the entire tone is way different. Both bands have a very American sense of sarcasm in their lyrics.

*shrug* I dunno what I'm babbling about, I just don't understand how anyone could have even believed that they were bootlegs to begin with...

I think in many cases that the whole issue of "DM Clones" is more imagined than anything else. Maybe I'm not listening in the right state of mind. I mean I've heard a lot of immature work that's a bad attempt at emulating DM/Erasure/(fill in the band)... but almost ALL songwriters start out sounding like their biggest influences. If you spend all your time waiting to write a non-idiomatic song you wont finish anything until you're 50.

Wow... this message is about 20 minutes I'll never get back (not to mention how much time it will take YOU to read it)

babble babble...

the sleep deprived one
    peas
    dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

I have a naive kind of question for Color Theory, but do you have to ask permission from DM before you release something like that? I'm just curious. Thanks! Can't wait to hear the whole thing!

Agree? Yes No

I downloaded Ponytail Girl back then when it said "bonus Exciter track" and I thought, wow, sounds like Martin is going back to his old school of songs like Get the Balance Right or something. It was shocking actually believing upon my first listen that it was in fact DM, I just about did a back flip. Then my brother told me it was Color Theory, and that was the end of that. I still love Ponytail Girl though, that is synth music at its best. Great words, killer vocals, and the music is perfection. Love it. I always listen to that song when I think of my ex. She was definitely a Ponytail kind of girl. Two showers a day, minimal eating, and clothing EVERYWHERE.

Cheers to Color Theory for your upcoming release. I too look forward to hearing it.

James MODvox
    Let me hear you make decisions
    Without your television

Agree? Yes No

Thanks for the kind words James! I actually recorded “Ponytail Girl” long before Exciter was a gleam in Martin’s eye. Since the track is so dated, I went back and re-mixed it for this album using my current gear and tricks, so it matches the DM covers.

I remember when Tim e-mailed me about the mix-up. While I didn’t necessarily like it, I did think it was pretty funny, and not altogether unflattering. Nobody accused me of anything, so I wasn’t defensive about it. The whole thing was long before my album featuring the track was released, so maybe it was harder to determine authorship than it was with the BNI track(s). I did try to set the record straight by actually logging into Napser and IM’ing users individually, but it didn’t take. One guy told me, “I know for a fact that Martin is singing.” Most replies were of the “yeah, right” variety. I'm probably the last person to comment, but I don't think it sounds anything like DM, musically or lyrically. Yes, I use vibrato, but I don't have a British accent!

Jason asked about the booklet: It’s looking to be a 6-panel gatefold insert. I’m not going to bother reprinting the lyrics except for “Ponytail Girl”. It’s definitely going to be my best looking CD. Besides being packaged in a Super Jewel Box (similar to the latest Camouflage album), the discs themselves will be printed on an offset press (like DVDs) so they’ll look really sharp.

As for permission, it was easy. I just bought Dave and Martin a couple beers, challenged them to foosball, and won. Kidding… you don’t need to get anyone’s permission. You do need to pay mechanical royalties at the statutory rate, which can be handled online at www.songfile.com. It’s a fairly straightforward process.

And now I’d better get back to Sweetest Perfection. Last song!
    Brian.

11th Records Mastering
    www.11threcords.com

Color Theory
    www.colortheory.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Color Theory
    , “I know for a fact that Martin is singing.” !
    I remember seeing that on a synthpop group forum, that was so funny!

Peter our singer from the Joy Machine days was so angry about that one website (I can't remember the name) which was selling those Exciter b-side/remix bootlegs from Germany as real DM releases, complete with inventory sku's, that he wanted to sue. For us the most annoying thing was that we were getting all these people commenting on how we were riding DM's coat tails by putting our stuff up as DM. (One of the two songs we wrote back in 1991 and the other one was from 1993) If we wanted to do that why would we choose way old stuff from our defunct projects instead of the new stuff we were working on? Oh well go figure.

Anyway, good luck with this project what I've heard so far sounds really nice.
    Timothy Heireth
    www.brandnewidol.com

The Electrogarden Network - Where Synthpop Goes To Die

Agree? Yes No

I'm probably the last person to comment, but I don't think it sounds anything like DM, musically or lyrically. Yes, I use vibrato, but I don't have a British accent!
    Didn't you know? Every male singer that sings using rather traditional folk technique in the tenor range and has some vibrato is a Martin knock off... every baritone who overresonates every note in their middle to low range is a David Gahan knock off... and every one else... well, they can't sing! Unless, of course, they sing really high like Andy Bell. Then they're unique because they're not imitating DM, they're imitating Erasure and imitating Erasure is a fresh idea.

-Dave

Agree? Yes No

It's wierd to compare stuff to Mode nowadays cause most of the stuff they put out lately does'nt even sound like it has keyboards barely in it! But my question is, if this comp is successful, will we see a part 2? ir is it best to let it lie and move on?

BTW, Tim_BNI, that avitar, if you stare at it long enough, will weird the heck out of you! Nice work!

Agree? Yes No

Part 2? Well, maybe if it is REALLY successful. But I'd like to do another album of originals first. It also crossed my mind to do a piano/vocal DM tribute album, because I really enjoyed hearing Martin's piano/vocal numbers at his last show.
    Brian.

11th Records Mastering
    www.11threcords.com

Color Theory
    www.colortheory.com

Agree? Yes No

cool, "depeche mode unplugged". great idea!

Agree? Yes No

One track I just thought of that I'd love to hear Brian's take on.. "Higher Love". Maybe for volume 2, if it happens.
    Nearly 700 of my reviews of various synthpop-related releases hosted by:
    www.synthpop.net

Agree? Yes No

Anybody ever heard DieselChrist's DM tribute called "diesel mode 97"? It has a really great version of "Sister of Night" that, for me, is ALMOST as good as the original, which is a bold statement for me to make!

Agree? Yes No

I definitely considered "Higher Love", so in the unlikely event of a volume 2, it will almost certainly be included.
    Brian.

11th Records Mastering
    www.11threcords.com

Color Theory
    www.colortheory.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by ericrypt
    Anybody ever heard DieselChrist's DM tribute called "diesel mode 97"? It has a really great version of "Sister of Night" that, for me, is ALMOST as good as the original, which is a bold statement for me to make!
    Yes i have. I have their cd's, they did a good job, I was very impress. HOME was my favorite track. Do you have the other songs they cover that are not on the CD?

Brian, How much longer??? hehehehe

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by ericrypt
    BTW, Tim_BNI, that avitar, if you stare at it long enough, will weird the heck out of you! Nice work!
    lions, and tigers, and balls? oh...? my?

dave

Agree? Yes No

I definitely considered "Higher Love", so in the unlikely event of a volume 2, it will almost certainly be included.
    Hey! "Higher Love" is my favorite DM song, so that would be cool. Or maybe you could throw that one on your album of originals...
    \"Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
    But desire fulfilled is a tree of life.\"
    --Proverbs 13:12

Agree? Yes No

Default Color Theory November Update

COLOR THEORY presents DEPECHE MODE to be released 11/25

It's done, and I couldn't be more proud. The new CD not only sounds great, but it looks amazing. It's packaged in the new Super Jewel Box and printed on the same high-quality press as DVDs. Because of delays with the special options, I had to move the release date back a week. Soon I'll be announcing a new website that's being created specifically for this album, where you'll be able to listen to samples of every track and pre-order a copy.

1. I Want You Now
    2. Sister of Night
    3. It Doesn't Matter
    4. Sweetest Perfection
    5. Here is the House
    6. I Am You
    7. World Full of Nothing
    8. Surrender
    9. But Not Tonight
    10. One Caress
    11. Leave in Silence
    12. Ponytail Girl

Album description: A one-man tribute to Depeche Mode, complete with two new instrumental interludes. Eleven of their most underappreciated songs reinvented, plus "Ponytail Girl", the Color Theory original that the world mistook for DM.

Download of the Month: Shadow in the Shade (demo)

Back in 1993, I owned what I believe was the very first PC hard disk recording system: the Roland RAP-10. This $400 audio card could record on 2 channels and play back 4 channels simultaneously. It even had onboard reverb and chorus, which was simply unheard of at the time. I recorded my first album, Sketches in Grey, with the RAP-10 on a PC running Windows 3.1. This month's download is one of the earliest Color Theory recordings (the demo of "Severed Nerves" being the first). You can download it from Amazon at http://artist.amazon.com/colortheory.
    Brian.

11th Records Mastering
    www.11threcords.com

Color Theory
    www.colortheory.com

Agree? Yes No

Awesome.... I can't wait. A new Color Theory Cd, and so soon after "Something Beautiful".. this is great news! Also that demo track sounds great... especially for being recorded on a pc with Windows 3.1!!!
    Nearly 700 of my reviews of various synthpop-related releases hosted by:
    www.synthpop.net

Agree? Yes No

Ok Brian 5 more days....How about some more samples..hehehe.

Can't wait. When is the website going to be ready??

AL
    If You Don\'t know, Now You Know.
    www.myspace.com/d3lions

Agree? Yes No

I just got back from the post office after sending out copies to all my distributors. I only received the CDs yesterday, so I've still got tons to send out (press, radio, etc). But before I do that, I've got to complete the website. It NEEDS to go up this weekend. It'll have clips from all 12 tracks in mp3, wma, and AAC (iTunes) formats. It'll also have a lot of background information on the recording process and story behind the CD, plus high-quality press photos from a photo shoot I just did last week.

The CD is already for sale on Amazon, but you'll almost certainly get it faster (and cheaper) by ordering direct from www.dmtribute.com. Amazon never orders enough copies initially.
    Brian.

11th Records Mastering
    www.11threcords.com

Color Theory
    www.colortheory.com

Agree? Yes No

Hey Brian, do you have to charge me sales tax if I cruise over to your house and pick one up? (haven't seen M in ages!)

Email me. And congrats, my friend.
    \"I\'m just an ordinary man
    With extraordinary hands
    I don\'t want to hear your answers
    I don\'t have the big plan\"

Thread Information