Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does your passion for your music interfere with...

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by ElectroSwank
    I put up with more because the studio just so happens to be in mine and Kris' apartment! (how bout a loud ass Kurtzwiel in your ear after a stressful 10-12 hour a day at work?) yea! \m/ rock on guys!

Seriously, tho .. Not just cos they're our significant others, but Corey and I just know these guys are super talented and if it means sacrificing time with us to be creative, so be it... this is what they love doing, its thier dream so who are we not to help, and be understanding?
    You are great women for making that sacrifice.

I married a great woman.

I gave up my "dream" of making music when I was 22 years old and had an opportunity to "bust my ass and make the big bucks". Sold my soul. Opportunity after opportunity until I was 31 years old... Somewhere in there I found Rebeccah and we built a life together. She actually has never known me as a serious musician because I can't really consider anything in the past 10 years as serious compared to what I was.

It was my wife that first told me 4 (or so) years ago to take some money we didn't have and buy a used keyboard so I could atleast play some (when I say I "totally gave up music", I mean I went from Semi-Professional playing regularly, teaching, etc...to not even owning an acoustic piano)

My point is that it takes a special relationship (two sided) to make room for a passion like music because it's sort of like a second wife. It took 10 years for me to finally figure my damn self out. Having Megan and Grace helped clarify matters. I've been so enthralled in being a father I'm relearning what it's like to be 100% focused on something and how good it feels to be that way....

The only ... and I mean ONLY ... other thing in my life that has given me anything similar in return has been music.

They say the same thing about SO MANY THINGS but ... "it's never too late". I'll probably be restructuring my life until I can MAKE room for music again. And I don't mean tossing together s.hitty, half-assed, demos in an hour to amuse myself... I mean actually being a musician again. Maybe even playing out from time to time.

What cool is knowing that if anyone would encourage me to so more than another musician it would be my wife who has already learned that when the headphones go on, the husband is gone for a couple hours

*shrug* not 100% sure of what I'm banging at here, it's late... I just finished feeding two babies... I'm punchy.

Trying to relate that I totally get what you all are saying. I live it in my own really wierd way.

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

"I put up with more because the studio just so happens to be in mine and Kris' apartment! (how bout a loud ass Kurtzwiel in your ear after a stressful 10-12 hour a day at work?) yea! \m/ rock on guys! "

Huh ! I had this problem too, (well, caused this problem more accurately!) and so I have moved all my stuff into rented space. All i have at home now is a portable, a pair of headphones and oxygen controller.

Still get into trouble for not being at home some evenings though !

LOL
    a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

I could and would never ask the guys to move their studio... I want it to be as convenient as possible for them to make music

Actually, I b|tch about it but secretly, I love it - I love hearing the the song process, start to finish... lyric progression. Its' all so cool and I am learning so much about making music... its great!

Dave, you dont' need us to tell you how great Beccah is I think you're one of the luckiest guys here on EGN! Maybe you'll be inspired to write a song for / about Grace and Megan?

Agree? Yes No

it helps greatly to be with someone who shares your same passion for music. you can understand it better then and work together to make it happen. i know craig and i both wish we had more time for music, but we make the most of the time we have. we don't watch t.v.... thats a huge waste of time. most of our "lounge time" is spent doing things that are music related, if not doing music itself. balance of life is all too importnat
    Indulging inaccuracy I\'m picking apart my friend Lizzie
    Throw another word on me and watch me hurl it back
    I know you! (I swear I do)
    You\'re just like me- You\'re sipping a cup of pity
    Aw!
    Did I forget to mention I\'m the centre of attention
    In my universe my pain\'s my pension
    I know you! (I swear I do)
    You\'re just like me-You\'re sipping a cup of dreams
    Yeah!
    Soul sloshing-don\'t shush me
    Just listen to me -pretty little kitty in the sky
    The bass of my laughter-my gut is the speaker
    Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
    Sweet is my surprise!
    soul sloshing.... venus hum

Agree? Yes No

Well, I am fortunate enough to work in a School of the Arts, so my musical obsessions are at the very least tolerated. Now, my E-Bay charges, not so much...
    We\'re no longer as thick as thieves

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by platformone

Iíve never gotten ďluckyĒ because I was in a band. Iím sure countless other have.
    We're in the wrong genre for it. My live guitarist used to play prog-metal - poet shirts and long hair, screeching guitar solos and all that - and he was CONSTANTLY getting female attention.

Of course, shortly after that he met his girlfriend and they've been together for 7 years now...

So now it's okay for him to hang around with synthsters becasue he doesn't need the attention anymore.
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by ElectroSwank
    Dave, you dont' need us to tell you how great Beccah is I think you're one of the luckiest guys here on EGN! Maybe you'll be inspired to write a song for / about Grace and Megan?
    So are your men.

Yes, I am lucky. God, three beautifull women under one roof (and two beautiful female cats as well). I'd get a sex change but then we couldn't make more babies and I'm not sure if I could handle losing the counterbalance.

As for writing music about/for the babies... that's the only music I'm doing right now I finally 100% kicked smoking and not to go back into *THAT* discussion but atleast >>MY<< singing voice improves singificantly when I don't smoke... so I have my range back and have been singing stuff for the babies...they seem to like it. I may actually record it someday.

First order of business is to get my cover of Tom Sawyer done for Craig's compilation!! Thank god for laptops and my 12-5am shift with the babies.. I'm catching up some.

-D
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

Not really, I don't have as much time as I used to, but the kids come first. I wait until they go to sleep and I stay up late and do the work then, so I still have time.

--
    jeff

Agree? Yes No

I see it the other way around, it's my job that interferes with my passion for music, but I have to pay the bills that comes out of being an independant musician.

Agree? Yes No

Wow,
    it is so ironic that we find something we feel passionate about, only to have reality make us follow a different path. I am a third year medical student whose always had a passion for music, but never really pursued it till now(of all the times for that to happen).

My interest in making music has become such an obsession for me that my studies have taken a sideline(it really reflects in my grades).

I am married, but I do have a supportive wife that understands and allows me to follow any path I so choose(as long as I become a Doctor...lol)

But what can you do...

I would much rather be on stage than on-call, but the irony is that Medicine pays the bills...

what can you do????

Agree? Yes No

I didn't think much about it at the time, but before I got married I remember telling my wife "never take my music away." I went through some down time in the mid-90s, but around 1999 I found myself in full swing again. Having kids and a full time job has put my music making on indefinite pause, but I'm promoting and dj-ing and loving it all, all because of a conversation I had in the car in 1993.

For the record, my wife merely tolerates the music, but I think she has come to the realization that it is a big part of who and what I am, and she couldn't take it away from me without killing a part of me.
    A04 of SoundMine, self-proclaimed electromilitant

Thread Information